Holo Audio: one of the best dacs ever? J Atkinson, H Reichert, S Deckert, M Lavorgna, GoldenSound, D Abramson and the Stereophile reviewers think so. Stereophile A+ and POY 2020

I also leave my May KTE on 24/7 and cycle power on the entire system every 2-3 weeks. I follow the practice of digital always powered on, analog powered off when not being used.

2 Likes

I follow that practice as well with the exception of my analog Decware ZROCK2 which is designed to remain on continuously.

Just adding my $0.02 - I think the best DAC ever is the one you are listening to.

Iā€™ve only had 4 - 5! DACs (actually that isnā€™t true - I must have had a DAC in every single CD player Iā€™ve owned - but you get the point - I did forget 2 - 3! thoughā€¦).
My first was a Hugo2 fed by RPi 4 running Squeezelite and PcP, then Hugo 2go. I got a Graham Slee Bitzie 2nd hand but I canā€™t remember if that was before the Hugo2 (just BC - Before Covid - not me, but things are a little hazy on recollection - must have been first though) .
The next was built into the HiFi Rose RS150B and thatā€™s in my main system. I like it for its sound and convenience, but the Hugo2 is a great DAC and itā€™s on my BHK pre amp and Cyrus 300xā€™s
The other two are a Dragonfly Red , which my son now has, and the final one a Dragonfly Cobalt, which is now fed by the Pi (or PC) into AE1 actives.
I canā€™t comment on the Holo May, I always lusted after a DAVE but went down the ROSE path to reduce the number of boxes. Iā€™m sure I will get sucked in to the latest and greatest, but for now Iā€™m really happy with the sound I get from my PST into Rose via AES and out to Mcintosh C70 etc etc.

I sort of forgot the punchline, which was that I was very pleased with each of those DACs - until I heard the next one. However, all of them are still here (even the ones in the CD playersā€¦)

Dusting off this old thread to hear if any Holo Audio May owners have had an opportunity to compare it against the new DS Mk2?

4 Likes

Would also like to hear this!!

There is a single post I have seen comparing the Spring 3 KTE to the MK2:

1 Like

I just ordered a mint Holo Red from Canuck audio martā€¦ will be here in the next few days. Looking forward to trying it out with my PS Audio Directstream DAC Mk1 (until the Mk2 gets here that is)

2 Likes

Look forward to learning of your impressions of the new acquisition.

Make sure to read through the manual before it gets there. Vince and I both posted links to it. If youā€™re using Roon should be simple it seems.

1 Like

I also had a Holo Spring 3 KTE ($4500) ,Direct Stream Dac, RME Adi2 FS. There is no comparisonā€¦.The Mk2 is better in every respect

2 Likes

Still wondering if anyone out there has compared the Holo Audio May to the Mk2 yet?

1 Like

After the job they did on the recent review of the mk2 DAC, I couldnā€™t care less about their opinion. They took the ASR route instead of using their ears!

1 Like

This link is to just part of JAā€™s LISTENING comments that you claim he didnā€™t do.

He broke his own rule and measured before he listened. He than used his pre conceived notions to distort what he was hearing. Kind of like a woman taking out a ruler before she gets it on!

3 Likes

I went from holo may kte to the mk2.

The holo does everything right, sounstage, bass, detail, etc.

Mk2 is more engaging. I donā€™t hear any deficiencies, or this whole noise issue. My streamer got an update last night, and i could just not tear myself away.

I wonā€™t be going back to the KTE.

7 Likes

Which streamer are you using with the Mk2?

Taiko extreme

1 Like

Thatā€™s a fantastic setup.

I have been learning to take most care with the source. My biggest jumps in enjoyment of my system have come from improvements in streamer/server and DAC. Granted I havenā€™t tried an equivalently priced amp, but feel that returns there diminish more quickly. Happy to be proved wrong in my set up in the future of course!

1 Like

I completely agree on the importance of the quality of the source. Once you have your speakers and amplifier at a decent level of quality the sources are where itā€™s at.

1 Like