Holy mother of .... BHK Signature Preamp

That is such a great idea to layout the wires and all, way to save a ton of mistakes. Keep them coming. I actually have been doing something similar with audio racks to ensure I have space for everything.

I love the details and the planning, thanks for showing it to us!

Ok, so here is a Block Diagram of my system. It is very useful articulating ideas. Why spend ten minutes describing an idea, approach when I show it to someone and they get itā€¦ most are visualā€¦

Also, I like to think about the future; I have a planā€¦ my 2 channel evolutionā€¦

4 Likes

Future Block Diagram

3 Likes

I donā€™t have much of a life; I think a lotā€¦ :slight_smile: Saves me a lot of moneyā€¦ notice how I picked a rack with 0.4in heavy duty glass and is very reconfigurable. I just buy different post lengthsā€¦ I bought it for that reason. I called their engineer and made sure I could reconfigure the rack. I will be doing this 2 channel for another 20 years

These are awesome, and honestly between this, cars and cycling you have a pretty full after work life!

14 posts were merged into an existing topic: We also love cars

@RsZk - Preamp is sounding great w/ new tubes and dampeners and a few hrs ON. How is your new preamp sounding?

I have probably 6 hours of casual listening so far. Very three dimensional soundstage. Changing characteristics so far. Noticed the ticking on volume changes but not annoying to me. I had a all tube pre before with no remote and dual mono configuration right down to the inputs and volume controls. That was fussy and with shallco style resistors in place, that was a lot more inconvenient. Sound was great though.
Nice cars!

All good, trying to swing the conversation back to preamp. The difference I first noticed when I added the BHK Preamp between the DS DAC & BHK250 is an amazing soundstage with added musicality. My system sounded amazing before the pre addition and now Iā€™m just so happy. Adding the select tubes and dampeners made it better, softer, sweeterā€¦ The preamp addition yesterday was initially harsh. This afternoon after 24hrs w/ stock tubes and 4hrs with select tube and dampenerā€¦ sounds much betterā€¦ I let the HP section run all night and it sounds better. Now we settle in for the longer haulā€¦ should sound better every few daysā€¦

I heard the ticks on changing volume initially; however, it went away. Is it consistent for you? I never had it with just my DS DAC.

Just a suggestion based on my opinion, take it for what it is.

Ive been a tube guy forever, and QuickSilver Audio for whatever reason sells FANTASTIC Tesla Tubes . He must do a quality assurance process or something and just keep and sell the perfect ones. Also you should replace once a yearā€¦I thinkā€¦they do burn in, get great and then slowly fade over time *tubes generally I mean). Quicksilver only uses a small number of tubes so I donā€™t know if he will have the types you need.

T

1 Like

Thanks for the tip and I intend changing pre & amp tubes every Christmas. My treat to myself. I will be looking for my next set all this year.

Also, the ticking sound is present when I change the volume of the Preamp. No real issue, I hear it faintly with my head phones.

Paul has a youtube titled " why do preamps click" or something close to that.

Thanks, it is not a great concern, just wanted RsZk to understand I hear it too. I heard it a few times on speaker, then it went away and I just sat down to listen to tunes w/ HPā€¦

Well i didnt watch the vid but there maybe a solution for you

Here it is

Thanks, this popping is not that, more of a clicking as the volume goes up and down. Very soft, light clicking. Each depression of the remote volume causes a click and when you hold it the clicking happens in continuous intervals till you release the remote volume. Very subtle, realized using my HP. I will investigate the speaker path tomorrow.

Search on Preamp clicking and you will see Paul explains it as a biproduct of the remote volume design and setting Preamp gain as that is happening. Just as I thought, not a big deal, just annoyingā€¦ just found the spot Paul talks about as a jump. My Nucleus+ was set for -18 and DS DAC is set for 75 and my lower major click is at 25. Found the 2nd major click @ 52. I also changed the DS DAC setting to see if the major clicks changed and they did not. Iā€™m also settling in at 60 for the DS DAC setting at this point.

I am also playing with the DS DAC fixed volume and preamp range, understanding 100 is the Preamp max. I have the DS DMP and Nucleus+ to level match so that will take some time before I am comfortable with settings. I use to use the Roon volume leveling and -18 as a setting. Now I shut all that off till I get a handle on if I need it or it is a waste of processing (DSP).

To avoid the clicking noise from the volume - mute the preamp - adjust the volume to the required level then release mute. You will still hear the heavy clicks at 25 & 52, thatā€™s down to the design, but you will avoid all the faint clicks.

I would have thought DS volume setting of 60 to be too low but if it works for you. I have my DS volume set closer to the top end of the DS and adjust the BHK preamp to suit ā€¦

The preamp does take a few weeks to fully settle down and sweeten up. It does sound great from the getgo but musically the BHK preamp improves with extended useā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, I had the DAC set initially for 40; turned it up to 75; now down to 60. I take the view that this is not an event adding the Preamp; more of a process. Still waiting on the Isoacoustic pucks; will add another shelf to the rack with the bamboo plinth so this is just the burn in and precursor time. However, 90 on the DAC would create an average Preamp listening volume of 15 to 20. My end goal is to keep the DAC and Preamp volume close to the same number at average listening volume. One thing Paul says is the DAC is very, very linear and the the number is not that big a deal.

Thanks on the mute; however, just a little annoying and I got use to it already. I just wanted to be clear it is real and an artifact of the design approach to save others calories contemplating the manifestation.

As far as the SQ with the Preamp addition, it was harsh initially and calmed down in a few days. I really did not need a Preamp and the addition of it was not a ā€œWOWā€ moment more like a ā€œhumā€ the soundstage just got better. I think it is as Bascom puts it, more musical. If you have the resources to add the Preamp, do itā€¦ if your system sounds amazing, not a big addition. The XLR (Valhalla 2) & AC-12 cables were more than the Preamp so it is an investment that paid off; just not that big a deal. I bought it for the Head Phone section and my Utopia HP sound amazing through that Preamp.