I got my P20 to cry uncle

I was streaming Midway movie and it Pearl Harbored with the Arizona attack. Damn the reset takes forever and the 20 amp IEC was flat out cooking. It would not reinitialize until leaving unplugged several minutes.

I turned down action voicing the rest of of the movie to a regular movie voicing l. I am glad it seems to have no limits in two channel mode. .

2 Likes

Oh, brother! How many kilowatts of amplification do you have on board? Class D is a blessing… sometimes!

1 Like

I was not watching meters. The monoblocks Easily hit 2KW a channel peaks. The surround amps are 320 WPC for side into 8 ohms and 160 WPC rear into 4 Ohms. Yeah so 4 to 5 KW or about twice the P20 capacity in sustained explosions. The house was a rocking.

1 Like

Boy, that is some heavy decibels for one’s ears, house and P20 :smile: I like listening to music using my ears not my gut or through the shaking floor :grin:.

2 Likes

whoa, i had similar experience at some audio show when they demoed Saving private Ryan - when the explosions started to increase cadence and volume it have tripped breakers at whole hotel floor :wink:

they had to limit subwoofers to not trip the breakers again :slight_smile: i have to say that for the room size (e.g. open hotel hall foyer) the bass impact was very visceral :wink:

1 Like

Do you have a sound pressure level meter? I use a simple app on my Iphone.

1 Like

It was not that terribly loud in the mids or highs due to the voicing curve. So it makes one ride the volume 6 dB higher to hear voices clearly thus raises bass. If it had been neutral i would be out of the room at that volume level
Yes I have a phone app. The system i have measured to 114 dB plus in the past with hearing protection.

The action rolls off mids and highs by 6 DB. The action movie takes highs off even more an additional 3 dB. McIntosh support will send one a program to create custom voicings or choose which canned voicings you wish to use and have uploaded in the MX150. In the future I would just use action 1 which is 3 dB roll off of mids and highs if using P20 I use neutral voicings for music unless the source is bad. For movies I usually just use movie voicings or neutral or music if the movie has good music soundtracks.

My speakers have great response thanks to Roger Russell so I rarely play with equalization unless a movie. There is is 12 twelve inch woofers in play for movies. Thus the huge current draw.

1 Like

Was not music but explosions created by sound effects. I listen to music 75 to 80 dB often less. Occasionally in the low 90 very short term

2 Likes

My volume is usually 30 to 40 out of 100 and that delivers 50 to 70 dB at my listening seat.

114 dB is quite loud. Was that at the listening seat?

Yes it is 12feet 4 inches from drivers.

1 Like