I2S output board for my Oppo 203 vs Bridge II ethernet for sound quality?

Yup, came with a cable.
PCB was black rather than green as on his website, must be a later revision I have.

I ordered the i2s board from oppomod for the oppo 103 and DSD Sr.
Unfortunately it produced lots of static noise for both red book and dsd.
I tried different hdmi cables, turned off and on the devices, move around various cables, same problem.
I ended up returning it.
Perhaps I got a faulty board?
Anyway, not worth the trouble…

Hard luck man, sorry…happened to me with other kit.
Absolutely worth the trouble, you have a faulty board my friend.
Any issues fitting it?

Have you emailed the seller for a replacement, sure he’ll look after you.

Mines works great, blows the Oppos coaxial output away, into the Directstream, much better.

Wanting to make the most of my Oppo as a digital transport, so have organised the same sellers Femto clock uograde board for my player.
Basically a far more accurate system clock, jitter spec wise puts it up with the DCS kit (actually quoted as better but being realistic) :slight_smile:

Should sound pretty terrific into the DS over i2s, just need to sort out a decent and short hdmi cable.

Photo of the board fitted, sounds a lot better into the DS than the coaxial output, and I was using a very good cable.

Just need to sort out a good (short) HDMI cable to connect them up.

Maybe worth DIYing one as it only needs to be 25cm or so?

Tried a few 0.3/0.5m HDMI cables and found the Bluejeans FE Bonded pair cable to sound terrific.
Great price too.

Hi @gazjam
Can you recap where you bought the I2S board for the Oppo 203? And does it affect both hdmi outputs or just one?

The IS2 OPPOMOD board has its own HDMI output and the two HDMI outputs built into the 203 are not affected at all. I have done these mods to my 203 and love it.

1 Like

I recently bought the I2S card for my Oppo 103, only to discover when installed that it only delivers 1 channel. The other channel makes small popping noises when I change volume on my DS Jr.

I have of course tested with different flat cables and HDMI cables to eliminate any interconnect issues.

Mr Lee will refund me when I send it back, so no problem there. But, I want that card!!

Is there anyone of you that runs this with a DS Junior - since mr Lee says he has only tried the card with the DS (Sr) DAC…?

… I hope there is still hope.

I do not have the card but there should be no difference in the i2s port on the jr vs sr. Now the problem could be the actual port on your particular unit. Can you try to get a replacement card and if that doesn’t work you may have to talk to support, in fact talk to ps audio support first maybe they can suggest a test before sending the card back

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I also think it would be kind of weird if the Jr would be different to the Sr in this respect.

I’ll contact PS support for a 2nd opinion and maybe a good idea…

Thx.

Try another card or two. I had to go through two or three to get one that worked right with DS Sr

1 Like

@highstream So you have the I2S card? May I ask in what combination of Oppo and DS models?

203 (modified) + DS Sr

1 Like

203 (Moded) DS Jr works a treat

Mr Lee from Oppomod kindly sent me 2 more cards to try out. One of them worked fine and now delivers excellent I2S output from Audio DVD:s, concert Blurays and streaming from for example Berlin Philharmonics. So I am happy that this turned out as a successful tweak eventually.

I can just recommend Oppomod and Mr Lee, always eager to solve the problem. Serious guy!

2 Likes

Hi All, probably a side question that does Oppo 203 read SACD iso file from USB or NAS to output I2s mod?

Be cool if it xoyld, but unfortunately not.Oppo disabled the ability to read ISO files a few Firmwares back.

I would like to echo your sentiments. Oppomod has completely blown me away with his excellent service as well.

I highly recommend that Oppo owners patronize this outfit, and buy some of his kit to upgrade your Oppos into fantastic transports for your DS’s. Rest assured, if you have any issues, he will make it right. :+1:

2 Likes

Hi. I too bought the card for an BDP-103 but I’m not getting any audio from the I2S card output to my DirectStream DAC. The card must okay as it does pass audio to the Oppo’s 7.1 analog board. I tried several settings and also not connecting to the analog board, still, no success.
Would you mind sharing how you got a successful connection between the 103 and the DAC (including the settings in the Oppo). Thanks in advance!

It can be done if you jailbrake it. As long as you are okay with openning your Oppo and hooking it up to a Windows computer with some cables purchased from Amazon, it’s not a difficult process. The jailbrake cost is a little expensive though. I have used Oppo JB on a 205 and 103, no problems what so ever.