I2S vs Coax

SACD is its own special thing and subject to the rules I have described. You can also get DSD-encoded audio files from other sources and copy those onto DVD-R media – unencumbered by Sony’s legal and technical burdens. The PSA transport can send DSD data from DVD-R (not SACD) media over any of its outputs.

I understand that point. My point about a new transport is per PSA the DSMP can’t output any DSD unless it’s I2S regardless of disc type since it never offered DOP. So it’s forced to use the PSA DAC. I have a Aethetix Pandora Eclipse DAC that I enjoy a bit better over the DS DAC. I like them both, but more so the tube DAC sound.

Well there are some I2S-to-AES or SPDIF converters out there, some with decent quality, and I think some could embed DSD in DoP along the way. If you are not talking about actual SACD DSD playback then you could conceivably take that option. But the new transport would likely be the better choice for sound quality.

That is not the case with a PST.
I get the DSD layer of an SACD using I2S into a Holo Spring DAC.

Paul said the following in another thread:

“The DMP required a digital handshake with a PS Audio DAC through its I2S inputs. The PST does not require that same handshake and thus will work through any compatible I2S input DAC. Not all DACs properly handle our I2S interface, but for those that do it should work fine.”

1 Like

If you can point to that thread I’d like to read the context please, because either the PST has given up any pretence of playing SACDs with copy protection in place and that’s something I haven’t yet learned… or Paul was referring to something outside the scope of licensed SACD playback and you have inferred more from his comment than he intended.

Edit: Yikes! It’s right there on the product page, which I’ve never looked at because I have zero interest in spinning discs. Apologies st50, you’re correct and now I need to try and understand how PS Audio has resolved the copy protection issue. Thanks for the guidance!

Read posts 20 through 26 for further explanation.

1 Like

once again - DRM is a bad idea, always. it hurts consumers, and only really helps large corporations feel in control. sometimes the corps break the law to implement it (sony ps3 anyone?).

come to think of it, wasn’t it sony who unforgivably snuck unremovable root kits from user PCs on red book CDs too and never really compensated users for that debacle.