iFi active AC gadgets

Thanks!

There were definitely sweeping bends where possible and the 1" conduit looks funny next to some of the smaller conduits for other purposes.

10AWG on a dedicated 20 amp circuit addresses voltage drop across long runs from the breaker box.

Pretty standard install technique by licensed electricians who aren’t trying to do the work on the cheap.

@2chan4ever

I’m hoping these AC filters help more with the Quintessence than the P5, since the Quintessence only measures incoming AC line THD, and has no means to reduce it. If they don’t provide a benefit, I’ll simply return them at the cost of postage.

Just to beat this #10 conductor thing to death (and it’s up my alley). My conductor specification (used for a couple hundred commercial projects large and small every year) reads as follows:

Minimum Conductor Size:
Branch Circuits: 12 AWG.
Exceptions:
20 A, 120 V circuits longer than 75 feet: 10 AWG, for voltage drop.
20 A, 120 V circuits longer than 150 feet: 8 AWG, for voltage drop.
20 A, 277 V circuits longer than 150 feet: 10 AWG, for voltage drop.

150 foot runs are pretty rare. We usually locate a panelboard before branch runs of this length are required.

My install fell into the first category…panel is at the front corner of the house, running to the other “catacorner” side of the house…:sunglasses:

May not be 75 feet but its close to that.

Rarely hurts to exceed the standard. BTW: “catacorner” is “kitty-corner” here in Chicago. Why that is leaves me clueless.

1 Like

Okay so you know all about EMT. You go to Wisconsin with their Romex and seems wrong. I mean to me. Issue is in far north Lake/Mchenry counties people will get Romex anyway. The AHJ knows nothing if they are not called in. The fire inspector probably knows better. I do not think Romex or even Greenfield are safe. If I had to choose between having EMT or AFCI’s I would take the EMT. Maybe I am an idiot. The fill % is for heat and friction. For the record the NEC to current AFAIK allows for 14AWG on a 15A OCPD. It also allows #12 to first receptacle of 20A and subsequent 15A pigtailed with #14. I fully agree That lower is a good thing. Look how many people are doing jobs just back stabbing everything. You get what you pay for. Those cheap cookie cutter homes good thing now they do have AFCI’s I guess. Except putting Smokies on GFCI LOL.

I have several iFi power supplies for small gadgets, and their first gen tube buffer. I have never had a product failure. Have you experienced product failures with the iFi stuff?

Yes, and reports of many others. I guess the worst is their WallWarts. My Igalvanic failed Twice luckily in 30 days. Shop confirmed it had failed. Plus the IUSB 3.0 that was with it failed 3 times in 30 days! I went to a purpose built machine with a Sotm USB card, Intona,Regen all powered by JS-2. No problems in like 6 months. My older DAC was very bad with USB not being a very high end one. The DS is probably better with nothing ahead of it anyway. After buying all that stuff I do not really care to find out! I think IFI’s older products were better which may explain your luck.

Sometimes it might just come down to luck I guess. Thanks for the response.

Agreed, and mine is pretty bad :blush: