P10 plus power cable

I have been using a Pangea AC9 Power cord with the P10 and I recently swapped that out for a Shunyata Diamondback PC and my system really shines now. I found that more expensive Shunyata cords seemed to make the vocals recede behind the plane of the speakers. Just my experience with extracting as much as I can from my P10 (which I might add is an amazing device!).

I sold a pair of diamondbacks a few years ago and regret not replacing them…they are a very good powercord for the price.

I haven’t tried their power cables but I did buy 2 Pangea HDMI cable from AA and without question they bring diminishment to video quality compared to the PS Audio AC-12 HDMI…I wouldn’t buy Pangea again for this reason, and I told AA so. I think their spruiking of the brand is a bit over the top.

I was unfamiliar with spruik, neat word. :slight_smile:

I think of Pangea as the super continent before continental drift. I continue to have trouble connecting it to audio cables.

In any event, I do not know the formal relationship but Audio Advisor and Pangea are, at a minimum, kissing cousins.

Im sure pangea would work in some systems, but in mine it certainly didnt. Im going to gradually move to a full shunyata power cord system I think.

cool - there are some who swear they get positive ‘systems’ effects when using all the same brand of powercord in their systems.

@afridi

try to find a dealer that will lend you various cords for a WEEK.

The “rattling” ferite cords seem to work better on digital front ends and the less expensive pure copper on amps and demanding analog components.

They need at least an overnight in your system with current running through them to settle down before critical listening.

Sometimes Less is More so try to improve each component one at a time rather than an all out assault on your PCs.

A call to Grant Samuelson At Shunyata would be a good investment s he is very knowledgeable and straight.

Thanks! I will give him a call.

Right now am running a Mac Mini and a Sony 5400ES into a PS Audio PWD, that into a Cary SLP05 preamp and a Crown XLS802. These feed Focal Electras (1028 I think)

I haven't tried their power cables but I did buy 2 Pangea HDMI cable from AA and without question they bring diminishment to video quality compared to the PS Audio AC-12 HDMI....I wouldn't buy Pangea again for this reason, and I told AA so. I think their spruiking of the brand is a bit over the top.

Brodricj - Did you notice a break in period for the AC-12 hdmi, and if so how long? Did you audition any other hdmi cables such as the AC-10 and how did they compare?

Gordon, I did call Grant and that was an interesting conversation. thanks for the pointer.

@afridi

cool.

If you speak with him again please tell him Gordon in Montreal says Hi.

I was their first dealer here. Many moons ago.

Brodricj - Did you notice a break in period for the AC-12 hdmi, and if so how long? Did you audition any other hdmi cables such as the AC-10 and how did they compare?

I have not noticed any variation in the AC-12 over time, so I would say no break-in time required. I have not tried AC-10, I just bought a set of AC-12 to connect my HDMI sources to the processor. I have used other brand HDMI cables in the past, the only issues I've had are with the very short lengths.

I have not noticed any variation in the AC-12 over time, so I would say no break-in time required. I have not tried AC-10, I just bought a set of AC-12 to connect my HDMI sources to the processor. I have used other brand HDMI cables in the past, the only issues I've had are with the very short lengths.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback.

Perhaps this is a really dumb question from a new Powerplant owner but why would a power cord improve the sound? Since the Powerplant totally regenerates the AC it would seem to me that it doesn’t matter what quality of power it receives. Don’t get me wrong I am very open minded about cables and power cords but I just don’t yet understand how it can help in this case. Please educate me.

Found this on the ps audio website that may be helpful, scroll down to “why power cords matter” section:

http://www.psaudio.com/products/power/power-accessories/ac10-power-cable/

I added an ac12 to my p10 and it was definately an improvement. I replaced the fuse in my p10 and noticed another small improvement. I have gotten to the point where I don’t worry so much about the why anymore. If something peaks my interest, sounds interesting, or others have had success with something i will give it a try and return it if it offers no improvement.

Congrats on the p10, even if you do nothing more than plug it in with the stock cord you are already enjoying significantly better sound.

Dave

Thanks guys and no, it is not a dumb question. Imagine, for a moment, a regenerator like the P10 connected through a tiny power cable - an extreme to be sure - but in that case the P10 would be starved for the source of its power and the end result wouldn’t be as good had you given it a full “drink” of power. So, making sure you have a non-restricted source of the power to start with is important.

perhaps even as important is noise. Power Plants make a lot of ruckus on the power line because generating perfect, low distortion regulated power on their outputs requires a lot more from their inputs - after all, there’s no free lunch - so when we fill in the gaps of your power at the output of the Power Plant, we get the energy to do that by taxing the input power more - and all this activity generates line noise. If you have a less-than-great power cable on the input of the P10, that noise will escape into the room and the rest of your equipment. Using a well shielded power cable like an AC10 or AC12 solves that issue.

So, bottom line, we need to make sure there’s an adequate supply hose and that hose needs to be well shielded for best results.

Thank you Paul for the response.

Btw, I think it’s incredible that the CEO of the company participates in these forums! You, your team and your products have gained another customer for life! I am eager to try out other PS Audio products. I am trying right now to justify to myself that the deal to get the PWT free with purchase of PWD is too good to pass up even though I just purchased a new Cdp/Dac. :). Someone please talk me out of it!

There’s not much better out there than a PerfectWave DAC … oops, I am supposed to be talking you out of it … sorry. >:)

tboooe said: . . . to get the PWT free with purchase of PWD is too good to pass up even though I just purchased a new Cdp/Dac.

It is a spectacular deal. The PWD is superb and the PWT is an amazing transport. Getting them for 50% off is a wonderful gift.

It is a great deal BUT since you wanted talked out of it and already have a new cdp, buy a power base for your p10 and another for your new cdp, then throw in some ac10 or ac12 power cords for all of your components.