iFi active AC gadgets

I’ve got two of these on Amazon Prime ‘trial’. I put two them into the system a week ago. I’m liking what they do, a bit more ease to the sound.

They make me think of what the noise harvester should have been all along.

The reviews look good. Do you have a power plant device to show a change in the incoming THD measurement?

Yes, but it’s reporting a reduction in output THD, no change on input. Typical was 0.2%, now it vacillates between 0.2-0.1%.

I have one just before my DS, and one just before my BHK pre. I didn’t notice any change when it was before the P10.

Strange input THD wouldn’t be affected…

I know. I take the values on both sides with a grain of salt. P10 on dedicated 10awg circuit, when I turn off devices that are powered by the P10, the INPUT THD goes down. Seems counterintuitive but I surely do like the improvement the P10 made.

I ordered two of them. I plan to put them in the dedicated 20a/10awg four-plex outlet, replacing two PSA Noise Harvesters. This outlet set feeds my P5, and newly acquired used Quintessence.

The Audio Bacon review photo above is exactly how I intend to deploy them.

If you have anything from a P5 to P20 this should do absolutely nothing. It might though, and I would be surprised. All their devices are really cheaply made stuff. A lot of bad units. At least get something good like Shunyata or whatever. I see no reason to plug this stuff in my P20. I am confident it already provides the cleanest AC possible.

Why are you guy’s running 10AWG on 20A? It is junk copper not nice cords like AC-12. I would bet the requirement per NEC of 12AWG makes no difference but I don’t know. Pulling 10AWG especially through EMT is difficult anyhow. Does not seem worth it. If the OCPD is 20A it is limited to that. I am not sure this is like a bigger fire hose but don’t even know. I just never heard to run 10AWG on 20A branch. I may be completely wrong I don’t really know but does not seem to make sense.

I do not think they are plugging them into their Power Plants, but rather onto the outlet next to the outlet into which the Power Plant is plugged. I see no harm in trying this and if it sounds better, it is better.

You can definitely hear the benefits of running direct “home runs” from your outlets to the breaker box. Most house wiring involves (non-soldered wirenut) splices, daisy chaining outlets, etc. and hence either arcing (low level or otherwise) or all manner of interference from other devices, ground modulation/displacement, etc. 10 gage wire allows much more current when you need it (which does depend on your equipment) but it also allows less modulation of the voltage depending on the current drawn, etc. Definitely one of the more cost effective tweaks I’ve done in my audio system(s). When running multiple circuits you can have an aggregate big single wire safety ground return which allows much better “star” grounding of your equipment which cuts down the size of groundloops and hence the magnitude of current induced by those groundloops. In my previous house I did two dedicated circuits and then added four more. In my current house I have eight dedicated circuits (which isn’t as overkill as you might think since I have mono blocks on a surround music system as well as a lot of random audio equipment.

I would think you are limited by the OCPD/breaker? Shoot. I ran Two dedicated with 12AWG. In my state(you will know where lol) EMT/conduit must be used. Cannot even use Greenfield/Flex. So 3x10AWG in 1/2” EMT is difficult. Running ¾” is a complete pain. The NEC allows for volume of conductors in a size EMT due to heat. I imagine you already know that :blush: Well anyways 12AWG is a lot easier to work with. At least I am on the same Buss bar and Phase. Like I said though not everyone should go do this. Not something with room for mistakes.

Okay. I misunderstood. I thought they were plugging them in PP. Wouldn’t anything in PP already have the best conditioning though? You know PSA makes one and I would choose it over IFI for sure. Not made in Boulder but I imagine at least they toss the duds. IFI does not seem to have any QC.

While the PowerPlants are excellent, they are not perfect; some THD remains on a PowerPlant’s output. This can be improved by lowering the THD on the input through the use of power cords, an isolated ground, Noise Harvesters or similar, etc.

As a general rule, the PowerPlants reduce THD to one-tenth of the THD of the input.

and everything plugged into the Powerplants output has the potential to inject noise polluting anything else plugged into the same.

Whatever, they are cheap, the seem to give me a little benefit. I was just intending to share. I get tired of the need of some to voice their opinion when in my opinion there is no value added by doing so. I’m out.

Typically there will be little interaction, if any, between equipment plugged into a Power Plant as the output impedance is so low.

I use two myself and without question,they do lower the noise floor a bit and contribute to a better overall listening experience…

1 Like

My electrician used a combination of flexible metal conduit, and rigid, etc. He used a subpanel right outside the audio room to allow the transition from what was allowed in the living space and what was allowed outdoors. Still he could run direct wires from the outlets to the breakers without splices, etc.

I found it interesting that he pushed the wires thru the conduit rather than fishing them. He’s done it enough that he makes it look easy pushing 16 #10 wires and a big honking ground down the conduit all at once.

I would have tried fishing them, and likely would have failed. :slight_smile:

I enjoy watching those who are skilled do their work. I always learn a great deal.

Just because I’m reading this at work and have the wire fill chart in front of me. At 40% conduit fill, TC.1 of the 2017 National Electrical Code (NEC) allows 5#10 AWG THHN/THWN insulated conductors within a 1/2" Electrical Metallic Tubing (EMT) raceway.

Interesting tidbit. What does the 40% fill limit accomplish? That is, why is extra space in the conduit a good thing (assuming the wires are not damaged when placed into the conduit)?

There’s a practical problem of pulling wires through a raceway with bends. The NEC allows a maximum of 4-90 degree bends without a pull/junction box. Plus there’s the problem of heat dissipation. There’s some subtle additional requirements associated with non-linear loads but that leads down a dark NEC alley.