Inexpensive ethernet cable

I thought that UNexpensive sounded far more meaningful than INexpensive.

3 Likes

English is an unexact language🤠

3 Likes

Not entirely sure about this Brett. As you know, CAT6 goes the extra mile of putting the X piece between the pairs. Yes - it can add to the size/stiffness, but in anything involving digital signals, any time you can insure geometry over a long run and lessen the chance of kinks is good. Ethernet cable has specific bend tolerances after which it is no longer operating to spec.

As a separate tale, I had CAT7 for a 50’ run to my server until I got the BJC CAT6. I got the 7 because it was cheap, flat and flexible, and I assumed that “7 must be better than 6”. Besides - ethernet can’t matter, right?:wink: Forgetting what I knew about standard ethernet cable construction. I was surprised that the 6 was audibly better than the 7. Had to switch it back and forth again just to be sure. But this likely falls under the “not a properly spec’d and tested cable” admonition many have mentioned.

1 Like

I believe many think 7 must be better than 6. It’s designed to solve problems we don’t have in the home, typically. Sending 10Ge or higher over copper 50m or more is what it does. Cat 5 has plenty of headroom for 1Ge. Even bent up abused pairs will manage most of the time and you won’t know. But of course don’t bend them up intentionally.

There is no effective difference when sending 20Mbps or typically way less.

Now, you might prefer one cables’ affect on your device but this isn’t the cables fault.

I remember reading on this forum that Blue Jeans 6a ethernet cable could solve ground loop problems as it was grounded on only one end. Did I read incorrectly or simply misinterpret? Whatever the case, that’s the ethernet cable that I use throughout my home and have no complaints. There are far too many other more serious gremlins to worry over.

1 Like

Blue Jeans Cable Cat 6. Comes with a cable spec report.

1 Like

None I say none of the extra money I have spent on ANY brand of Ethernet cable has ever impressed me. No sir. They all sound the same to me. But I have grown accustomed to Inakustik Ethernet cables so that is what I buy and will buy in the future. I prefer fiber optic networking though. And not by a great margin. Given the chance to do fiber over copper I’d prefer the fiber. Possibly because it is so damned cheap compared to Inakustik Ethernet cables. lol

1 Like

As all of my streamers are Auralic and both houses have Mesh Networks wireless works for me but I do have a small stash of Supra Ethernet cables if needed. No need for Ether Regens, Giga Foils or other ethernet related gimmicks. The point to me of streaming over vinyl was supposed to be simplicity so if I wanted a bunch of boxes and cables then I could have just stayed with vinyl as the primary source as I already owned all of the albums and parts.

1 Like

My opinion : I think the ethernet cable doesn’t has a big influence on quality NOW. I believe the main reasons are the protocol with the CRC based on a hash function and the generalization of switches. Now, we are 100% sure that the frame will arrive perfectly (one can have issues, it is detected, rejected and resent). This was not the case when 35+ years ago when I was a student at Telecom Paris.
If Ibought a cat 7 and a cat 8, it is because I am disabled from my right hand and can’t buy a cable per meter and mount the plugs. If anybody in Europe on this forum can do it for me, he is welcome.
I’ve bought cat7 and cat8 because my brother is coming to visit it and will install my cable. If If they happen to bad cables, they were cheap.
As my ethernet LAN will include 2 TVs, Cat 5 would have been too low.
As I know there are here people much more skilled and experimented,I wanted to know their opinion (@aangen : there are now Inakustik cat 7. Will you choose cat 6. or cat 7. from Inakustik lol). @dawkinsj : you’re unlucky because my streamer will be an Auralic Aries G2.1 and I may have a few questions such as Roon vs Lightning DS :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:)
nanus gigantum humeris insidentes
That’s what I am.

I bought cat7 first and then was informed cat6 from Inakustik might actually sound better so I bought cats. It’s humorous to me at least.

All of the expensive Shunyata Ethernet cables are CAT6e I think.

So put tobasco on cat6. That way your cats don’t eat them. :wink:
Anyway,I don’t understand why cat6 would sound better cat7

1 Like

I’m not sure they are designed for video even if they should work. I just think they are “audiophile cables”

Neither did - or do I. It may have to do with the construction of the cable, and the application - or not. In my case, flat CAT7 vs. CAT6 with twisted pairs isolated and separated by the center X brace… was audibly better.

But one can only compare.

A member of this forum who I trust told me privately about his positive experience with the Inakustik Cat 7 cable. I purchased a couple and added them to my system. Later he wrote again that out of curiosity he decided to try the Cat 6 version of the cable and he thought it brought things to the sound that he preferred. So I gave a couple a try as well.

I will not say one is better than the other, rather they sound different and personal preference may lead to choosing one over the other.

More than one person I know has stated a belief that Cat 6 can be preferable to Cat 7. Those of you who know better can be satisfied that you know the truth. The rest of us will stumble along in the dark as we are accustomed to doing.

[Bumps into wall]

Ouch!

4 Likes

FWIW I use Melco cables with great results. They sell them in cat 7 only, and do not charge arm and leg.

1 Like

@ipeverywhere Thanx for you kind help. So two kits similar to this one:

Would that cable be OK ?

Sorry for the links to French pages, they are inexpensive :joy:

2 Likes

That looks like the right stuff. I don’t know that brand and cannot read the reviews but all the numbers look right.

Here’s a little more complete spec comparison table along with a narrative for each.

https://www.fastercables.com/index.php?route=information%2Finformation&information_id=9

1 Like

Don’t get the Gigabit version. It is incompatible with some end points, the PSA Bridge, in particular.

You want the TP-Link 100Mb version for the Bridge or you will have to add a switch b/t the second TP-Link and your endpoint in order for the Gigabit version media converter to work, in my experience.