Installing a Dedicated Line

I currently run my system off a 20A circuit, with nothing else plugged into that circuit. So, I guess you could call it a dedicated line.

I’d like to have an electrician pull a second 20A line to power a beast of an amp I’m considering.

What are the parameters I should ask for in term of gauge, placement in the breaker box, grounding, etc. I know that there are some do’s and don’ts, but I can’t recall what they are.

Thanks!

Even though you have nothing else plugged into that circuit, there are many connections to that wire along the way which can have negative effects.
I would run two 20A circuits with #10awg wires and separate grounds and neutrals.
One circuit for your amp and one for your other components. If you can put the breaker at the top of the panel near the feeding wires.

2 Likes

You may check these threads for additional info.

1 Like

@waymanchen11

I don’t think there’s any room at the top of the panel. How about the bottom?

Another question I have is, if I pull two new dedicated lines, do I get a receptacle with two sockets, or is there a receptacle available with just one plug?

It doesn’t matter too much top or bottom. If you have a choice, top would better because it’s more direct to power source. Main thing is a direct run to outlet from breaker with #10 awg wires.
I really can’t tell you which is better, an audiophile outlet or an industrial grade single dedicated appliance outlet because i really haven’t compared the two myself, but either way should be fine.
Here is a picture of the single outlet. You need two, one for each circuit.

Thanks, @waymanchen11

I’ll likely go with the single outlet on each line. By my way of thinking, that’s what “dedicated” means.

1 Like

It’s pretty simple to either move down or shuffle them all down to make room at the top. Whether it makes all that much difference would depend on the other loads. The power from the power company comes in from the top so in theory this is the ‘cleanest’ part to place your dedicated circuit breaker(s).

You can use 2 outlet receptacles. The are bridged as one, just use one or the other. Or get singles. Either way works.

Dedicated means there are no other recepticals,switches, etc on the line.

1 Like

Yes, you can switch the breakers around and put the audio ones on top, just re-label what is on what circuit. It is probably better also to put the audio circuits on the same phase meaning put the breakers straight across from each other on the panel or skip each one vertically if it’s a two pole single phase 240v panel.

1 Like

Same phase ranks higher than to of bus bar. Torquing connections ranks higher as well. Verify all panel connections are torqued properly.

1 Like

Looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on this matter. Yes, make sure your connections everywhere is very tight, it helps getting the best sound from the circuit.

Dedicated lines are great, and as the other threads in the forum have discussed before, having a really good ground is worth checking/improving.

At the other end, I have had good outcomes with Furutech outlets, both 110V and 220V. And they are not sky-high priced.

Well, I’ve been in touch with “my guy”, have spec’d out the project as per the suggestions above, and have two Furutech outlets on order. I just couldn’t see +$200 for two carbon fiber wall plates. I gotta draw the line somewhere! (Unless you all tell me that the CF is totally worth it.)

Save your money on the cover plates. Any difference you hear is most likely in your imagination because the CF covers looks better and you’re down $200.
If you change breaker position, make sure the wires from the top circuits are long enough since most of the time wires are shorter on the top circuits. But putting it one circuit below should be ok. I’ve dress countless panels and seen it all.

1 Like

I had the two 20A lines installed yesterday with Furutech outlets. We moved some breakers around so that we could put them at the top of the panel, cleaned everything up, checked the ground, etc.

The system sounds wonderful with the new lines. Thanks to all above for your guidance.

3 Likes