Interconnects - Start Where, Between What Pieces?

I have just splurged for much better 1.5M XLR interconnects. But where to start the upgrade? From the farthest source then work toward the amps and or the other way around? Farthest source is an AirLense > MK1 DAC > BHK pre > M1200s. You can substitute the AirLens with a PerfectWave transport into the DAC and a Stellar Phono preamp into the BHK pre. There are already very good XLR interconnects. But the new pair are quite a leap upward. So where should this first set go?

2 Likes

If your new pair of IC is significantly better than other ICs in the system, you should try it between DAC and pre first. I remember I was shocked to hear how much better SQ with a pair of Iconoclast 4x4 Gen2 UPOCC between MK1 and BHK pre. Later I added another pair between pre and M1200 and the subsequent improvement was 50% less.

However, I do not know if I started with pre to amp first, would I get the same conclusion? I do not think so, but I could not try it because I needed different length of cables. Maybe you can try both and let us know. :grin:

4 Likes

It seems like a fun experiment with only a few variables. Use your own ears and let us know what connection you find most pleasing.

3 Likes

It just makes sense to me that the best use of your best interconnect is at the source. Seems to me that the goal is to keep the signal as pristine as possible for as long as possible.

3 Likes

Best Source to Pre then
2nd Best source to Pre then
Your least best IC between Pre and Amp.

Generally speaking.

Also if you can afford to move the rack so there is nothing between the speakers (meaning long IC to amps) the better.

2 Likes

I’d go on the path more used. Vinyl, CDs, streaming: what’s your favorite listening habit?

Source to Pre connection is generally the starting point even if Pre to Amps can improve your system, no matter what source you are playing.

1 Like

It is situational. You have the time to ask, take the time to experiment. Let your ears be your guide. Time well spent IMO.

4 Likes

I like your logic though when is what we tend to do with our hobby/systems ever logical? But the idea of preserving the source a long as possible does make sense.
IIRC Paul had a question/post on just this topic. And also IIRC he opined fairly definitively where the best path should commence. Thanks rkindel. And thanks all.

Mike Morrow of Morrow Audio has a different perspective. He recommends starting from the speakers and working back to the head waters (Source). He’s been at this cable gig for a long time…check out his site…a lot of good information.

1 Like

Every meter matters. Generally the one between source and amplifier is the most sensitive. But for me a Stealth dream 20/20 on the air conditioner changed my system. For the better.

1 Like

Interconncts (IC) cable are very different from speaker cables that see a larger issue between the amp and the load, making improvements more evident. An IC cable is driven into a “infinity” high impedance load so that’s consistent in the design and circuit. Little current is there (theoretically zero) and we just transfer a voltage signal. Not so a variable load speaker that is anything but infinity and stable, just the opposite.

Where are IC’s most evident in performance changes? That’s harder to answer since like I said, the LOAD is so much better for IC cable than speaker cable. LONGER links are of course adding more “problems” as it is a per foot artifact for ANALOG.

Digital is again different and the AD and DA are prominent in that chain and the error correction is 10E10 accurate between the DA and AD so length is immaterial until it totally collapsed (rare).

I’d start with your pre to power IC as everything uses that change. I only spent time after that with the source I use the most as I get more bang for the buck. I go down the line to the less used sources. Length wasn’t an issue so much as what’s going to be enjoyed the most?

Make sense?

5 Likes

Makes sense! Thanks rower30. And thanks to everyone who contributed. I appreciate staying on topic.