Interesting Articles

RIP Billy Conway

1 Like

This is interesting. Hadn’t realized it wasn’t an older song, for one thing. The author may be reading into it a bit here and there, but still.

2 Likes

A fascinating read.

Shocking. He looked like the picture of health.

1 Like

During one of my two trips to Havana, we stumbled upon an exhibit by accident. I saw the USAF on the wing and had to stop the bus. Turns out it was the wreckage of a U2 that was shot down by a Soviet surface-to-air missile. To me, it was a very big deal. This was an airplane type I worked on during my first years as an airman (Beale AFB 9th AMS SRW 76-80) and really never knew the story that helped set-up the crisis. Fascinating to see it in Cuba as well.

4 Likes

Wow. Thanks for that.

Inspired by the Cuban Missile Crisis apparently, but actually about the hope and peace that is the promise of the Christ Child, in my view…

Interesting article, indeed. Thanks for sharing and Merry Christmas.

SEE

1 Like

A colleague of mine’s father was a U-2 pilot that died in the line of duty.

Here is one article chronicling the event:

2 Likes

Great story. I know what the pilot would have done, had his missiles been in range: followed orders and pulled the trigger. I know during the late 70s, a low point in US Military history, SAC was a very serious place.

Yep. I believe so.

Heck, never mind Earth-based threats. I used to work with a former pilot who was at the SAC base in Montana (I think it was) when it was visited by…something else…and all the ICMBs armed themselves, etc. He was sworn to secrecy (“This didn’t happen”) and years later he saw the Major who ordered him to keep his mouth shut telling the story on a UFO TV show.:man_shrugging:t2:

That may have been the actual origin of the lyric. (Operator looks at his display) "Do you see what I see?!?":thinking:

3 Likes

That was interesting in several ways; the double meaning of the lyrics, the relatively recent writing of a “classic”, and how it is still relevant. Human just aren’t very good at learning some things …

Well, little doubt about that last sentiment, for sure😂

I am not sure how I feel about a 17 year-old reviewing this book, or really any other bit of gear over $99.99.

“(Nathan Zeller is a 17 year-old Beatles fanatic and budding audiophile found in Western Canada. Currently, he’s using his school break to catch up on reviews. Diploma studying can wait, right?)”

Maybe short on experience, but man, I bet his hearing is so much better than most of us here.

I agree on their hearing. But understanding what they are hearing? That I find highly doubtful.

I may be the wrong person to judge this. I don’t want 17 year-olds driving either.

I am going to guess that they are related to Michael Fremer.

1 Like

For a majority of 17 year olds, yeah probably true, but think of what some prodigies have done at that age or earlier. Makes me shudder to think what some can do at such a young age. I’m not really sure what I understand about music and I’m 64.

Yeah, I agree about prodigies. Few and far between. Now we can barely get most of them to look up from whatever feed has the them sucked in.

I am clearly too grinchy today. Perhaps some spirit lifting intoxication is required.

Speak for yourself, Motz!:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes

Sadly, I am …