Interesting Articles

Found Art?

1 Like
2 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like

Gifts for 2 of my boys 20 something year old girl friends are easy. And it’s not just a vinyl revival. Their interest extends to 60s and 70s music on vinyl (One just took my son to a Beach Boys concert and loved it). I had a nice conversation with a 6th grader the other day, who also happens to be a musician, who is all excited about the all in one $50 record player she bought with her bday money.
The revival may not persist, but they are at least coming to know that there are alternatives.

3 Likes

Referring to my response above, I wish I could still enjoy lofi as much as I did in my teens and 20’s. I let searching for the holy grail of playback take a lot of the fun out of it.

2 Likes

RIP Peter Collins

1 Like
2 Likes

Utilizing a new dating technique incorporating lasers, the article postulates that this cave painting is 50,000 yrs old; exceeding another cave depiction found in Indonesia in 2019 by 7000 yrs, and surpassing the paintings in Lascaux by as much as 37,000 yrs!

4 Likes

Not sure where to put this but yeowzer.

2 Likes

“But there’s no humidity.”
“Yeah, just like my OVEN!”

1 Like

Overnight lows near 90 and no natural source of water to be found. No thanks. I’ll take Michigan for the win anytime.

1 Like

LV, NV is the only place I have had the experience of the outside temperature taking my breath away in a manner similar to experiencing the arctic blasts of the winters of my youth in NW Indiana.

Walked out of the old Flamingo hotel late one morning in the early 80’s and the impact was immediate and stunning.

That dry heat sucked all of the moisture out my respiratory system and made me catch my breath. Reminded me of the way extreme, dry cold temperatures can similarly assault your system…

Yeowzer, indeed.

1 Like

Terrifying

I know how I handle LV in the summer, go to a great hotel pool (Flamingo pool is wonderful). Buy a bucket of beer, chat random people up and have a blast. Take a nap afterwords in your cool room and proceed to enjoy the evening activities.

3 Likes

Tucson and Phoenix will also give you a good run for your money.
In Tucson, I remember walking outside at 8:30 in the morning one July day, only to see that the temperature was already above 90 degrees. Daytime high temps of 100 -110 were not rare. Some NYC subway stations will also feel that hot. :sweat: :wink:

1 Like

I’ll take high-altitude dry heat. Once the sun goes down, it cools off quickly.

Some time ago, I had the pleasure of visiting the Virginia coast during a >100 degree heat wave. That plus the humidity made an impression.

My host said the local description for the weather was “air that you wear.”

3 Likes

Who still listens to radio anymore?

But I suppose that if streaming services pay the musicians, than radio, in a sense is also like a streaming service, and should also pony up?

1 Like