Interesting shoot out between two high end DAC's

Could definitely hear a different between the two DAC’s on my desktop computer speakers. DAC two sounded better to me.

It’s a blind shoot out, should be interesting to see which DAC is which.

3 Likes

#2 in round 1.

1 Like

I thought #1 was too thin and #2 was too fat. A live, clean electric bass does not sound like either.

The best analogues to have gone through my system are CH Precision I1 was more like #1 and the Holo May DAC is more like #2.

1 Like

I was able to put the video on YouTube and run Toslink to my DAC and main system. The video sound is pretty spectacular through my main system.
Without a doubt, not even close, #2 is much better. Fuller, more dimensional, and live sounding than #1. I wonder what #2 is.

3 Likes

I agree. Definitely #2 for me

1 Like

If you go to Jay’s YouTube channel and click on community you can vote and then see how others have voted. #2 received the majority of the votes.

1 Like

Interesting that most of us came to the same conclusion. I watched last night through my system and thought #2 was a clear winner. My guess it’s the MSB Reference but it will be interesting to find out which one it actually is. I demoed the Select II with the preamp module and I was surprised how much better it sounded than my BHK setup.

1 Like

#1 was simply too gritty, especially with the guitar string.
The overall sound was aggressive, unnatural, and not very musical.
Reminded me of a listening session I had 3 years ago with the Aqua Acoustic La Scala MkII Optologic DAC.
#2 was much better, more natural, musical.

1 Like

What amazes me is that I can hear the difference between these two DAC’s on my desktop computer speakers and even a sound bar. Doesn’t mean I actually hear the real potential of audio gear over this platform, and through low Rez playback systems, but that doesn’t exclude hearing differences. So there actually is a benefit to doing these shootouts on platforms like YouTube.

1 Like

Suggest subscribe to his YT channel. Dude puts out amazing hi-end content. I’m a regular on his massive Agon thread, which preceded the YT channel

1 Like

Agree with the majority that #2 had a fuller sound. Played from the PC through Iloud Micro Monitors.

This reminds me of Michael Fremer posting digital files comparing the sound of various cartridges, phono preamps, etc. and asking his readers to vote for the one they prefer.

This practice presumes the differences in the analog equipment under consideration can be readily captured by digital which, of course, they can. Fun stuff.

1 Like

I completely fail to grasp what the sound of a recording of a stereo made on a phone or video camera’s mics has to do with the performance of a component in my system.** Regardless of any perceived differences on…whatever additional system you then choose to play it back over.

Even if you were to put up a pair of the finest mics in the world, lovingly located in the sweet spot, recorded to your favorite medium…I would still not understand this trend of videotaping systems and treating them as demos or shootouts. Is it just that you can hear a difference? You would not expect to hear a difference?

As and aside, simply based on what I’ve heard from others’ firsthand experience, I’d assume the one more people like is the Rossini.

**He wrote, sounding angry, but really not. Just mystified and lacking caffiene🤠

7 Likes

I’m not picking up any anger. :slight_smile:

Yours is a more than reasonable observation.

2 Likes

:slight_smile: You remind me that Henry VIII married his fourth wife, Anne of Cleves, on the basis of a portrait commissioned from Holbein for purposes of assessment. He found her less prepossessing in reality and the marriage was annulled after six months as being unconsummated.

7 Likes

It’s free to anyone to enjoy (no subscription fee), he’s doing a shootout of the two best dac brands on the planet (which has never been done in such an accessible way) on $220k Wilson Audio speakers in a system that retails for half a mil. And the sonic differences are easily perceptible. And he has 200 other videos comparing tens of millions of dollars of top gear.

Yeah, let’s complain about it ….

Btw, he owned bhk 300s early in his journey

2 Likes

I am not picking up any complaints, rather observations the audio is essentially meaningless.

3 Likes

He uses high quality mics. The YT limitations are the same for all demos. Perfect, no. Meaningless, hardly.

1 Like

I think you missed the point of the (intended) constructive criticism.

That is, folks are questioning the efficacy of a video posted on YouTube as a means of comparing kit, systems, etc.

FWIW.

2 Likes

I disagree on essentially meaningless, and here’s why.

I heard demos of units in dealer showrooms- A/B shootouts and heard differences. I’ve heard same shootout of same gear through his YT channel and result was same. Different room, but same conclusion

2 Likes