Interesting shoot out between two high end DAC's

Do you disagree?

Believe it or not I’ve asked Jay where the 300’s fall in comparison to the stuff he’s owned. Yes he’s owned all of it.

I won’t repeat here his answer bc it’s not for me to share (ask him yourself if interested).

@Palouse :sweat_smile:

So far this (yours) is the only snarky comment.

Others are merely not as impressed with these reviews as you are. Your opinion, and that of others, are equally valid. But let’s keep it to opinions as to equipment and the reviews, please.

1 Like

So Jay’s comment that he owns and purchased everything he’s demoed is at least 99% true.

^^That’s two snarky comments, now.

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Snark Oil, try it - you’ll like it! :innocent:

2 Likes

Jay’s comment that he has purchased and owned everything he’s reviewed is in fact 99 % true. He was given, or loaned one pair of modestly priced speakers, and has mentioned that if anyone else wants to send him something he would gladly review it. I doubt anyone gave him a quarter of a million dollar pair of speakers or $100,000 DAC for free, so he would hopefully give it a positive review.

Ok, I’ve received private requests to reveal Jays thoughts on bhk. I can’t do that because that would be betraying a confidence. Get to know him over a couple years like I have a build a relationship and he opens up about most any gear, though still just his opinion.

Or ask him on his 328 page Audiogon thread. He might answer if it peaks his interest ( he well might ignore also).

Here’s what I can say because it’s public knowledge. When he has the bhk 300 he loved them in comparison to stuff he had to that point (nad, Parasound, outlaw, Rotel, etc). Indeed he posted here on these forums about them and how much he liked them.

But then he kept going up the food chain and not surprisingly got better and better gear.

The specific comparison I asked him to draw was bhk300 vs Luxman L590axii (a $9k class A integrated amp).

Maybe when bhk600 comes out he will get those?

I don’t think it counts as snark if it is true.

1 Like

I misunderstood. Thought your comment was /sarc…

All meant in jest,

SEE

No worries.

His very first post on the massive (17,000 posts or something insane like that) compared about 30 different amps and bhk was one of them.

The thread still super active and supplements the YT channel

I just started watching his channel and wasn’t aware of those earlier comparisons. I’ll have to check them out. Thanks.

Here’s the thread.

I’m kren0006 there

1 Like

So back to this comparison of the two DACs. My brother came over and he heard the differences very clearly. I use the Mac Mini and USB to the Matrix and I2s in the main system and the sound had pretty high resolution so the differences was very obvious. Here’s what he had to say. “The sound of the #1 was very good, but in comparison with #2, the attack of the notes was softer, and overall a little less present and not as complete. #2 had nice attack and better decay so sounds fuller and better textured. There seem to be less lost of the signal with #2.” He picked #2 sounding better also. BTW, he also told me he did tried it at his home with Sennheiser 650 and Grado headphones, and he couldn’t hear any difference. He even had a better sound card replaced in his computer. He said later he will do as I did, and use his Mac Mini, Matrix, and his main system, and tell me the results. Sounds like fun.

1 Like

Holy cow, Jay has listened to a ton of audio gear, probably more than most, definitely more than me. Love his passion for hi end Audio.

Also his assessment on some of the gear I’ve actually heard myself seems spot on.

Hard to imagine any human on this earth, including dealers, who have owned as much recent (last 6 years) top shelf gear as he has. Dude is crazy but we all benefit from his generosity to share his findings. When you have a spare week read thru the whole 328 pages, haha

The YT channel only started 18 months ago. The thread is 5 years old and still extremely active.

If memory serves, he owned DS Sr for a period too, but don’t quote me on that. He cycles through some speakers and dacs and more recently cables and fuses and isolation and other tweaks, but 90% of his journey is comparing amps and preamps

One has to appreciate passion, wherever directed.

And people like this make me appear rational.

2 Likes

I guess sanity, like many concepts, is relative.

:roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Exactly.

But more seriously, I enjoy meeting and talking to people with passions, especially if I do not share them and can learn something.

3 Likes