Is I2S the best?

Food for thought

3 Likes

When I had Euphony Summus2 streamer, it offered both I2S and USB outputs. With DS MK1 I2S sounded way better than USB. But after MK2 came out, the USB connection sounded superior to I2S. If Hans is right (he is right often), the difference I heard was due to difference from cables.

There is simply less selection in I2S cables than other types since fewer components offer it. AQ Dragon48 is still the king of I2S as far as I know.

1 Like

If MSB will soon launch a I2S input module on their DACs I’ll be able to play SACDs again through PST and I’d like to try the Pink Faun HDMI not the Dragon 48, because I love their digital cables and STEALTH doesn’t offer it.

2 Likes

I did not even know Pink Faun offers HDMI. Don’t you want to know if AQ Dragon is better? :laughing: Too bad you don’t have it anymore.

1 Like

Luca:

I had a second hand Pink Faun “Interlink” I2S cable in rotation for a while.

In my experience, the Revelation Audio Lab “Reference” HDMI cable proved to be just a bit more revealing.

It looks to me like Pink Faun may have revised their HDMI cable a bit so their current Interlink is probably still worth exploring.

Ciao.

1 Like

I suppose the only way to know which output is better is to try both if possible. What’s best may vary from individual setup to setup.

I have a Clarus Crimson USB cable which seems good. For i2s, I recently ordered a “Revelation Audio Labs ’Prophecy’ CryoSilver™ Reference HDMI i2s Digital Link” cable that is supposed to deliver today. Made in the USA and Brad at Revelation Audio was very helpful.

I will end up going USB output from a Lumin U2 to a Singxer SU-6 DDC and then i2s output to a Denon A1H AVR. Fingers-crossed!

I owned not one but two Dragons 48 and I liked them. But I find the Pink Faun digital cables “signature” more natural and realistic even if a little bit darker. If the HDMI has the same character I found in Ethernet and USB, worth the try IMO.

RAL can certainly be an alternative, thanks Scott.

I have all the time to decide though.

2 Likes

RAL might sound a bit dark next to the AQ Dragon. The Dragon is a brighter more revealing cable, but could be a little bright for some systems, but makes up for it with higher resolution. It’s best to try before you buy if you can.

As for I2S, it is superior only with the PS MK1, that is why many use a DDC converter like a Matrix 2 to convert USB to I2S. Even with an extra device in the path, it still sounds much better than the mediocre USB input of the MK1. Of course as Donald stated, the MK2 is a different animal. It’s USB input equals the I2S input so it’s a matter of the quality of the cable that will change the balance.

Speaking of the Matrix 2, the external power supply I used that I found superior to others I have tried is the Farad Super3. It made a considerable difference to the performance with the Farad. And the 9 volt is slightly better than the 7 volt I have, yes, I have both. But my Matrix burned out eventually maybe because of the higher voltage or something else, I don’t know.

2 Likes

If you have not sold both of the '48s, let me know if you want to swap an RAL for a 48 to do a comparison. I have two RAL’s (one serving my AirLens and one serving my DirectStream Memory Player).

It might be be worth the shipping costs to me to figure out if the Dragon is better so I can put it on my upgrade wish list.

Just a thought…

1 Like

It would be a great idea. Unfortunately I sold both of them. When I used the MK II USB output I put them in a drawer collecting dust, then I went for MSB DACs and decided to sell them.

It’s funny, soon I’ll need an I2S cable again, life is really strange!

1 Like

I guess I’ll have to try to demo. a Pink Faun Ethernet Interlink.

1 Like

Playback Designs uses a galvanically separated fiber optical PLINK interface, which they feel is the best link to their DAC’s.

Luca, Have you thought about the Tubulus Concentus I2s V.2 ? I have been using it between my DAC and transport for 6 mths. My wife usually starts out demanding to know “How much?!” (did it cost). I was prepared to be a lectured, so I almost fell over when she liked it so much that she did not even ask the price. And the owner answered my many emailed questions within hours or minutes. - Jeffrey

3 Likes

I also use the Tubulus Concentus I2S and am quite happy with it, although I will say that I have never been able to compare it to an AudioQuest Dragon.

1 Like

AudioQuest - 48G Dragon HDMI or AudioQuest - 48G Dragon eARC Priority HDMI … which one should I go for ?

This one

1 Like

Very funny !