Is Roon support going to be EOL?

Paul, for non-Roon people the most interesting thing from Bridge III would probably be >DSD64 support and newer lens technology.

Is it correct that Bridge III will offer this and Bridge II won’t be upgradable to this?

Thank you for the reassuring update, Paul!

I read the linked thread about Octave and have a likely basic question. For Octave to work I need BIII in directstream. Will I need the PS Audio server to use Octave or will be generic home computer also be an option? Is there a plan to make an Octave “renderer” in the event I ever choose a different dac?

As as a user who primarily downloads music, it is so easy to sit at my office desk and then go in the living room and use my iPad to access that music. With this one box server solution, will all the music need to be on the internal hard drive? How would one take the downloaded music from my office computer to the server?

stevem2 said

Thanks Paul. One question–once Octave is out, will the DS Jr. be offered in Bridge II (Rood ready) and Bridge III (Octave) versions or just Bridge III?

Once we make the switch to Bridge III new DSJs will only have the III built in. Bridge IIs will be supported in those DSJs already installed or customers will have the option of upgrading to Bridge III.

jazznut said

Paul, for non-Roon people the most interesting thing from Bridge III would probably be >DSD64 support and newer lens technology.

Is it correct that Bridge III will offer this and Bridge II won’t be upgradable to this?

I suppose but we’re way too early in the development cycle to get down to details like this.

Hmm so new units will only have Bridge III. So my 1 month old DS Jr. w/Bridge II will soon be “old” technology. Not good.

Bryan - don’t buy a computer!

scotte1 said

Me three. Best sound to date in my system is JRiver MC managing my digital files…

Everyone likes what they like I guess.

Paul McGowan said

I suppose but we’re way too early in the development cycle to get down to details like this.

Paul, as an owner of a DSJ with Bridge ii, does this mean that if I want to shift to Octave, I will need to physically open-up my DSJ, remove my Bridge ii card and then install a new Bridge iii card? Do users have the skill set to accomplish this? How will this affect the warranty on new units? How will PSA be set uo to troubleshoot and assist customers?

For the record, I use Roon to play my AIFF lossless music, burned to my MacBook Pro, via Ethernet. To my ears, sound quality is excellent.

Thanks in advance for your response.

David

badbeef said

Bryan - don’t buy a computer!

Haven’t purchased one in years. My company provides me one

David Bernat said

Paul, as an owner of a DSJ with Bridge ii, does this mean that if I want to shift to Octave, I will need to physically open-up my DSJ, remove my Bridge ii card and then install a new Bridge iii card? Do users have the skill set to accomplish this? How will this affect the warranty on new units? How will PSA be set uo to troubleshoot and assist customers?

For the record, I use Roon to play my AIFF lossless music, burned to my MacBook Pro, via Ethernet. To my ears, sound quality is excellent.

Thanks in advance for your response.

David

I sure hope we have an upgrade option. This will protect our investment which would be great. Even if one wants to keep the Bridge II, it would be nice to have the ability to go to Bridge III!

We can certainly upgrade DSJ from Bridge II to Bridge III. How it will be accomplished hasn’t been planned out yet, but rest assured it is possible and will happen.

Bryan said

Hmm so new units will only have Bridge III. So my 1 month old DS Jr. w/Bridge II will soon be “old” technology. Not good.

Hardly. For one thing Bridge III is a year away and if our track record of on time delivery of new technology is any indicator, longer than that.

Bryan said

We are not harmed by having new choices.

My DS started life as a PWD Mk I I upgraded it to a Mk II and then a DS and I’m no wizard at these things. This “old technology” still sounds and works great. There was lots of help from people on the forum and from PSA support for upgraders who needed it. My “new” DS got a full warranty, just like a brand new unit. (I think the same thing happened with the Mk. II upgrade but it was a long time ago and my memory fails.) If PSA is able to make DS Jr.'s upgradable to Bridge III by users I’m sure there will be similar support available. As Elk said earlier, PSA has a superb record when it comes to supporting legacy products. That’s true whether the product was recently replaced or was made decades ago (although there are limits to what can be done once you get that far out).

Yes, great to know the upgrade option would be available.

But this stuff is good enough to stay as it is…extracts all out of the files, sounds fully natural and nothing annoys anymore or namable lacks anything like it did with a lot of digital units before.

I think the level on which the current units run in our homes is much more different than future improvements will ever be.

Bryan and David, - at the risk of “harshing the mellow” of this Forum - which is fairly sacred to most of us, due to the civility here and the lack of same on most music forums - you guys are suspect to me. I’m not sure what you want. Seriously.

If you’re unhappy with PS Audio, vote with your dollars and buy something else and bitch on multiple forums about how Paul screwed you. Some may buy into your viewpoint. Start a YouTube channel. Then let us know in a year if you feel the same. This isn’t that complicated, unless you make it so – a year in advance of the product you’re already unhappy with.

Caveat: 5:15 on a Friday, and it’s been a long week. So sue mebeer_gif

Mark, I appreciate your support for us but I think you might have been a little harsh on Bryan and David. I didn’t take their comments as suspect or anything but questioning what’s happening and what their investments have wrought them. Maybe I missed something?

This is a fairly big deal and I truly get where they are at. Anyway, hope your day wasn’t too hard and long.

I too need a beer. Have a great weekend.smiley-music005_gifbeer_gif

badbeef said

Bryan and David, - at the risk of “harshing the mellow” of this Forum - which is fairly sacred to most of us, due to the civility here and the lack of same on most music forums - you guys are suspect to me. I’m not sure what you want. Seriously.

If you’re unhappy with PS Audio, vote with your dollars and buy something else and bitch on multiple forums about how Paul screwed you. Some may buy into your viewpoint. Start a YouTube channel. Then let us know in a year if you feel the same. This isn’t that complicated, unless you make it so – a year in advance of the product you’re already unhappy with.

Caveat: 5:15 on a Friday, and it’s been a long week. So sue me

Yes you must have had a long and hard week. Yes you missed my and David’s point. Please go have a beer.

Apologies, guys.

Technology changes fast, which makes all of such purchases at least semi-obsolete quickly.

It is worse with services such as Roon. Not because Roon is suspect, but because one needs to invest in hardware, setup a system, buy into the environment, etc. This takes time and effort. Asking a dedicated tech user to switch platforms is threatening enough. But hinting that you will take it away from him can get you seriously injured.

In this case, the good news is PS Audio will continue to support Bridge II. Nothing is being taken away. Thus, if you are currently happy you should continue to be pleased.

Unless of course you want the latest and greatest when it comes along. Then you need to decide whether the status quo is better and you will stick with it, or the new is more appealing. There is always something shinier, faster, better looking, just around the corner.