Isolation: What are you guys using under your Directstream?

For years I’ve used vinyl-coated sorbathane for many components, and tried switching to bamboo blocks, then back to sorbathane, then EVA blocks, and most recently ‘rented’ Iso-Pucks. My system has never sounded ‘slow and rubbery’ to me and yet so many seem to exclaim sorbathane is. I’m sticking with my inner tubes, I like how they ‘sound’.

Don’t be a f’ing lemming. If it works for you, great, if not, great but no need to ever tell someone else what they hear or don’t hear or their system is this or that. Unless you’re being paid to sell product via reviews, then its the the job.

The only change I’ve ever found to be night and day different is when I turn off the power.

Reminds me of the great Jack Nicholson quote ‘Sell crazy someplace else. We’re all stocked up here!’

Slow and rubbery sorbothane, bright silver cables, warm copper cables, etc.

Audiophiles project a great deal of what they want to hear. Do desert based systems sound dry? Does your system sound dark when you turn out the lights?

I actually love those EVA blocks. They are everywhere in my house - under the washer and dryer, DSJr, M700s, speaker cables, and under where the power cables plugged into the components so they don’t droob. I even tried to put some under the fridge but I couldn’t tilt the darn side-by-side fridge.

They probably don’t do much for the sound but at least they elevate the components and give them better circulation. Plus they are dirt cheap.

1 Like

One of the best things I’ve done is to place my fridge on these: https://www.amazon.com/Silent-Feet-Anti-Vibration-Refrigerators-Freezers/dp/B00XNVIPMI?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B00XNVIPMI

And add a wifi controlled outlet so I can turn off the fridge when listening as its clearly audible from my listening space. The outlet has a programmable startup timer so I don’t even need to remember to turn it back on.

That’s a great idea for the fridge. A little volume does it for me but it’s not as good as what you are doing. The AC however raises the SNL way up and really messes with any listening at reasonable volume. I forget about this until this time of year…

Which one?

This one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0178IC5ZY/ref=sxr_rr_xsim_1?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=4518303533042278392&pd_rd_wg=xoc4K&pf_rd_r=YKYMYZTCM86BXVE4YP7N&pf_rd_s=desktop-rhs-carousels&pf_rd_t=301&pd_rd_i=B0178IC5ZY&pd_rd_w=x9A8k&pf_rd_i=tp-link+outlet&pd_rd_r=059c7272-7d01-41fe-8b67-2ca9908135bb&ie=UTF8&qid=1527178961&sr=1

Most don’t have a turn-on timer, this one does, plus is monitors power usage so I can decide between fresh food or powering my system :wink:

The AC is a tough one, I’m just happy to have AC. The isolation feet eliminated a ~40Hz hum from the compressor radiating through my raised wood floors, I only cut off power when it bugs me.

Spending all the time in front of the stereo is one thing but shutting off the fridge? Don’t know how your family tolerates that but certainly not in my house…

1 Like

Its just me and my significant other and she doesn’t care one bit if the fridge goes dark for a while.

Does anyone hear a difference between the black vs silver case?

1 Like

No, but the protective vinyl cover on top caused a significant obscuring of details

Dude—who doesn’t know that??? Around 12k, right?

1 Like

Maybe 11.53k but I’m deaf beyond 8k ;(

I love this thread!! I got to see if I tossed my vinyl cover…:laughing:

In all seriousness, Paul has stated this numerous times, the more resolving the system the better good recordings sound and the worse bad recordings sound. The double-edged sword.

I think many of the changes we make potentially bring us closer to more resolution or further away and its OK to not like it.

This might just be a hunch but I feel using the remote from the BHK Pre, my system sounds better than using the remote from the DSJr.

I think that is why I’m so happy with my system at the moment. I account a good potion of my bliss to the Jr. but everything sounds great. From basic Spotify and Pandora to my hi-res files. That to me, is the definition of a “sweet spot” type system or one I can live with. I’ll be very careful not to lose this “sound” moving forward…whether a tweek or a P12…

In that vein (and this is 100% true) I had a mfg customer service expert and long time user give me a tip that my pre will sound better with the display off vs on. They may be 100% accurate but I’ll be darned if I can tell… Anyway, interesting hobby we have…

oh yes. And make sure the print on your fuse is facing 90 degrees off center to the left.