Issues with the forum today

The forum has either not been loading or loading very slowly. One time when I tried to access the forum, a file called “download.gz” downloaded and the forum page did not load. It’s a 1 kb file I quickly deleted. Very fishy! Hope you guys have cleaned up all this nastiness.

The forum has been loading slowly for two to three days for me. Maybe related to the problem with album art? I too got the .zip files, didn’t even try to open … Danger Will Robinson! Seems Ok now other than still a little slow.

The forum has been exceedingly slow the last couple of days for me as well.

Yes - it is taking an eternity to load - is the site corrupted ?

Yes…very slow… if at all.pulling-hair_gif

FYI, I did see a message from PS Audio pop up when I was trying to get into my message in box – announcing that they are experiencing technical difficulties and working on the problem.

Scott

I’ve had the same issues with slowness and occasionally refusing to load pages at all.

Yep, I will also add my 2 cents worth!

The site is running VERY slowly and in the end I move on to other things as I just don’t have the time to wait for each page to load. It just takes way too long for some reason!?!?

Recently it was working and loading pages in a reasonable rate, but right now its the pits as mom would say!

I hope it can be fixed in a timely manor.

Cheers…

The ghost of years past.

I vote for keeping the “performance issues” banner as the site is working better now. Perhaps it responds to veiled threats.

Yes. We got hacked by a BitCoin miner. Clearly not an audiophile this hacker. They don’t take any information or cause harm other than grab all your CPU resources. Which is what slowed down the site. It’s mostly fixed for the moment.

Makes perfect sense and I should have thought of this. Cryptojacking has become a major problem.

We are back up and running - as normal as we can ever claim.

Paul McGowan said

Yes. We got hacked by a BitCoin miner. Clearly not an audiophile this hacker. They don’t take any information or cause harm other than grab all your CPU resources. Which is what slowed down the site. It’s mostly fixed for the moment.

Further, Elk used the term “cryptojacking”. I know hackers steal data, but in this case they were stealing processing power? New one to me, but I don’t keep up with all aspects of the “digital revolution”.

They are stealing processing resources to mine Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies. Mining a new Bitcoin now takes a tremendous amount of resources (like all forms of mining, it is easy at first and gets harder) and, as a result, just the electricity bill has become substantial. Amazon had a big problem with this recently when hackers took over vast amounts of Amazon’s cloud.