Just Ordered a Netgear Orbi Wireless Mesh System

Good info, thank you for posting

I would move more than 4ft away from your wifi router

Using the lowest usable power settings can help reduce exposure

App for Android (they make iOS too but it’s far less useful) called WiFiman can help you analyze 2.4GHz and 5GHz in your environment

I got a Cornet ED88T+ “Electrosmog” meter (great term, that), which is helpful for seeing what’s outputting what and when - at least roughly. Fortunately my router has a wifi “radio” on/off button, so it is only broadcasting when I want it to, which is rarely (it is also possible to program set on/off times). I got an ethernet dongle for the iPad, and mostly run everything hardwire now. Far less convenient, but for the sake of my own personal science project, not a big deal. Of course the most horrific impact as an audiophile is giving up the galvanic isolation I had by running the Auralic wireless ; )

Phone is in airplane mode most of the time (this would be problematic for someone who depends on phone communication a lot - it is pretty much like your phone is off). The solution is to use it with an airtube headset, with the phone away from your body when calling. Texting is far less RF-intesive, but again, don’t do it in your lap. The young guy that wrote “The Non-Tinfoil Guide to EMFs” - a compilation of many of the studies that have been done that show problems with EMFs - had this engraved on the back of his iPhone: “Warning: This marvellous piece of technology WILL burn your balls.” ; )

It is an “interesting” book, in terms of reading about all sorts of things you’ve never heard of with regard to the subject, but I can’t necessarily recommend it from an objective science POV, as he makes a lot of “One study found…”, and “A Danish investigation found…” sorts of statements - so not everything listed can be taken terribly seriously. Doesn’t mean its all wrong, but just because one study found something alarming doesn’t mean it is true either.

More concerning are the things that ARE known - testing standards are an antiquated joke, many credible studies are swept under the rug, there is a Godforsaken Amount of Money involved in all of this, this is all Much Worse for our kids and grandkids, the most recent large, 10-year cell phone study showed brain cancer in male rats (and that was using 2G and 3G - never mind 4 and 5G), etc.

1 Like

Hey @badbeef if you’re referring to wired Ethernet that has galvanic isolation built in. There are transformers at each end so no issues with ground loops and the like.

Oh, cool - no wonder I can’t hear a difference! : )

I get all confused reading the Matrix thread and all of the USB-to-ethernet stuff I’ve gone through.

I picked up the same meter, very interesting.

I’m trying to figure out a way to see my laptop screen and use BT keyboard and mouse (they are very low RF output)

Right now I’m using my 65" display via Airplay and I think I could adjust to this and keep the laptop away from my lap

I checked my electrical SmartMeter and found very little output, save the occasional pulse, but it was far lower energy than my Wifi from my devices

Thanks for the heads up, I should have known better and so should the modern world. Constant microwaves aren’t good for the body or mind

I’m especially concerned for they young people that have a phone with them all the time, literally.

The Grand Experiment that won’t read out for several generations to come

I was surprised at the variability of Smart Meters - two just outside my living room are only peaking at 3 or 4 mW/Sq.m from a foot away, while the one to the other side on the next apartment (which was by the head of my bed) hits 70. I brought the meter over to my brother in law’s house and theirs are hitting 175. His wife, who is a gardener, was wondering why the bush next to it had such freakishly large blooms :man_shrugging:t2:

I’m guessing the output has to do with how far they have to go to ping the next meter and keep the data chain in the network alive. Or they just get set however they got set when they were installed, who knows. But they’re running 24/7. Standalone homes may have higher output set to be able to communicate to the next house’s meter.

Was pretty bummed to find that my beloved Hue lighting system was spraying as much or more than the wifi. And when you turn on the microwave - move away until its done ; )

I’m sure the power output of the meters adjusts to whatever is needed to reach the next or hub as you surmised. The pulses are immeasurable from my bedroom (the nearest place we spend much time) so I really don’t care too much about it.

My Hue only has two bulbs but doesn’t output much at all, 40mw/m2 vs ~300mw/m2 of my wifi that I’ve detuned in power a bit, coverage is still just as good and measured levels are lower throughout. I know that wifi power increases also mean noise increase so it can be somewhat self-defeating to crank them to 100%. I’ve put the Amazon Echo, Roku and AP nearest our bedroom on a lamp timer killing them for 9 hours a night. Main AP remains on but it 60’ away.

Looks like 10’ is a ‘safe’ distance from my 2016 microwave

The on/off volume wheel on my unit is very sensitive. If it move it the device will reboot, not all the time but often. I think this one needs to be exchanged.