Just Upgraded from PWD II to DSD

Hi,

I have been a user of the PWD from the first version. I upgraded to the second version right away and while I thought it was a worthwhile upgrade, I decided that I was going to sit out the next few. The change was worthwhile, but I still was not going to be selling my analogue rig any time soon. I used the PWD constantly and due to the balance of ease of use and good sound, my turntable became a special occasion item, for when I had the time to futz. All it all, while I have been frustrated by some of the issues with the early software, eLyric, gapless, network hangs, etc…, it was the best digital front end I ever had.

After reading all those glowing reviews, I gave in and purchased a DirectStream. I guess curiosity got the better of me. I expected improved, but not game changing sound. I was wrong. This thing is a whole other animal. It completely changed the character of my system, all for the better. Instruments sound like what they are, separate, full. Rhythms jump out of it. More importantly, the smaller nuances are right there. I can hear the breath going through the horn, or how hard individual strings are being plucked. There is just so much more emotion in the recordings. It is like all the musicians’ performances improved. It can’t make a purse out of a sows ear, but it makes the ear as palatable as possible. On a good recording, it is positively breathtaking.

Anyway, I am not here to find new adjectives, just to say thank you. (BTW, anyone looking to buy a used Teres turntable :slight_smile:

Drew

P.S. I moved the PWD to my computer and replaced my little HRT Streamer II with it. It made a pretty nice difference, but not as significant as the one between the PWD and DirectStream.

I was just dumbfounded the first time that I heard it.

Drew said I have been a user of the PWD from the first version. snip>
Are we the same person?

My DS arrives next Monday and my story is precisely like yours. If I don’t sell the PWD it’s going to my office.

Drew said Hi,

I have been a user of the PWD from the first version. I upgraded to the second version right away and while I thought it was a worthwhile upgrade, I decided that I was going to sit out the next few. The change was worthwhile, but I still was not going to be selling my analogue rig any time soon. I used the PWD constantly and due to the balance of ease of use and good sound, my turntable became a special occasion item, for when I had the time to futz. All it all, while I have been frustrated by some of the issues with the early software, eLyric, gapless, network hangs, etc…, it was the best digital front end I ever had.

After reading all those glowing reviews, I gave in and purchased a DirectStream. I guess curiosity got the better of me. I expected improved, but not game changing sound. I was wrong. This thing is a whole other animal. It completely changed the character of my system, all for the better. Instruments sound like what they are, separate, full. Rhythms jump out of it. More importantly, the smaller nuances are right there. I can hear the breath going through the horn, or how hard individual strings are being plucked. There is just so much more emotion in the recordings. It is like all the musicians’ performances improved. It can’t make a purse out of a sows ear, but it makes the ear as palatable as possible. On a good recording, it is positively breathtaking.

Anyway, I am not here to find new adjectives, just to say thank you. (BTW, anyone looking to buy a used Teres turntable :slight_smile:

Drew

P.S. I moved the PWD to my computer and replaced my little HRT Streamer II with it. It made a pretty nice difference, but not as significant as the one between the PWD and DirectStream.

Thanks Drew! Appreciate you sharing your experience. DS is a game changer, just as the new Junior version is as well.