I’m still a ways from needing to downsize, but if I had to do so today, I’d probably be looking at the KEF LS50 Meta and the Aspen FR5. Has anyone here experienced both speakers and care to comment on them? This would be assuming I’d keep my M700s for power, and the listening environment would likely be a typical apartment living room with typical living room furnishings - not large, and not a dedicated space by any means.
I’ve never heard a KEF speaker I liked, except the pair of KC62 mini subs I use in my computer video editing system.
I’ve also seen people post about damaged KEF drivers.
I only heard the FR5 briefly at a show with subs, but I suspect FR series is the better speaker.
Have owned both and did not feel the Metas compared to the 5’s. Paul has used both for what it’s worth. Just my opinion.
I recall @Paul remarking they weren’t even close.
As a KEF loyalist, I think the LS50 Metas are extremely good at certain things but fall short in several categories.
The Reference 1 Meta is another story.
I appreciate everyone’s comments. I might not have even considered the LS50 had I not heard the LS60s that my brother just got for his living room system. Mighty impressive.
Personally, since I have heard Dali speaker, i will go to benchmark Dali with those with Kef & PS.
Got a pair of Kef with all Gizmo in it, a beautiful red laque, they work for a week and I had to bring them back to the store! I was so piss off, that I quit HiFi for 10 years after that! PS made me coming back when I purchase an old preamp 4.6 for a old turntable!
Had the Kef’s and now own the FR5’s. Much prefer the latter.
Very good to know. Thanks!
One last Thought, Before replacing or changing something, always swap the cable for something better
I waste many good HiFi system because of Poor cable!
Just yesterday, My turntable sound dull, Swap for a new Aquest red, night and day result
To be clear, this potential change is not being considered as an upgrade, or to improve any aspect of my current system’s performance. It’s only on the table because at some point in the future I’m going to be forced to downsize from my Magnepans. So tweaking the existing system isn’t really applicable.
Thanks for the explanation. It seems unfortunate. Having recently gone from box speakers (TAD) to dipole planar (Prodigio electrostats) I dread the day when I may have to downsize from large panels. I actually have a small desktop nearfield system I use for my editing suite and also late at night when I can’t fire up the big system that i find quite good. I’ve made 2 videos about it you might like.
There’s a big difference in internal volume between the ls50 & ls60. The amount of bass one gets from such a small enclosure as the ls50 has are constrained compared to the ls60. I’d think it unlikely that one would be satisfied with their ability to reproduce the sound of large ensembles without a subwoofer or two. I had KEF r500s and now have KEF R7 Metas in our second system and both were highly influenced by everything downstream, especially the R7 Metas. I’ve got four preamps and four amplifiers and the KEFs sound different with all of them. Finding the right combo for one’s tastes can be tricky and frustrating but they are a fine speaker once they’re dialed in with the right ancillaries.