Looks like Focal is moving away from beryllium tweaters

Curious to know what happened to my previous Silverline Monte Cristo speakers that I traded in for FR30. It has never reappeared anywhere again:

They may have used 30 yr. old tech. but they sounded excellent. I hope they did not ended up in a fire place or junk yard. :sad_but_relieved_face:

I also noticed that I do not own any piece anymore from my previous “endgame” system on the rack including cables.

We work with TMR on these big trades and I’m sure they went to a good home. That’s not me talking like a parent telling his child that the old dog is now “living on a farm”

The fact that they haven’t resurfaced tends to reinforce what Chris has said.

They are much too good a set of speakers to have ended up on the scrap heap. Also just as a point of interest which you may very well already know: if Google is accurate less than 10 pairs of these speakers were produced.

Yes, very few were made. The owner Allen told me each pair took him three months to make from start to finish so he had to retail for a high price; the curing process took a month (five or six pairs were made according to him if I remember right). He had a pair at home and I had the other pair in West Coast. He said two were in East Coast and the rest were sold to Asia.

Each weighted 325 lbs, and they also occupied a lot of room. FR30 is quite a downsized in fact. :laughing:

Addrssing shipping these speakers would be a substantial accomplishment on its own.

If anyone wants to trade in their big speakers to PSA speakers, the best deal will be using their shipping company. I checked UPS, FedEx, and others and PSA’s was more than 50% cheaper :wine_glass:

Or try https://www.pirateship.com/

Just when I was going to buy speakers with beryllium tweeters…

Just read about TMR. Lol

I think this was the TMR page for them and shows them sold.

Thank you for the follow-up, Chris. :+1:

I believe that the European EU guidlines, like RHOS in the USA, is limiting the use of berylium so FOCAL isn’t directly stopping the use of this material. EVERYONE in the EU will stop using it.

best, Galen

Ears everywhere will thank them for this!!!

Many do, some do well. Very few speaker makers IMO have done beryllium tweeters well, but it is possible.

Maybe for you. Me, not so much. I’d rather hear silence.

We are all bound by the limits of what we’ve heard.

I went from the Focal Electra 1008BE’s to the Sopra 1’s, then 2’s and then 3’s. My ears thanked me when I finally purchased the FR30’s :smiling_face_with_sunglasses:

Wow! I guess you liked the beryllium tweets and then you didn’t…Expensive way to find out!

ALL used TMR trade-ups, so not near as bad as buying new every time..

Chris, thank you so much for the information on my old speakers, and I must reply from busy travel in Seoul Korea.

That was a fair description of the conditions since I owned them from mid 90s, and went through a period of raising family along with quite a few kid’s parties :tada: Luckily the speakers still function well.

Thanks again!