M700 amplifiers

Hello, I bought a pair of M700 mono’s to drive my VMPS RM30’s and the control and sound is nothing less than astonishing.

I have another system consisting of innersound electrostats (mk3 passive) that I am currently driving with a pair of class A mono blocks. I had heard that class D or digital amps have trouble driving electrostats due to the low impedance and particularly the type of load they present. However, I stumbled across an advertisement on an audio site claiming that there class D amps drive any load including stats.

This weekend, I thought I would give the M700’s a try on the electrostats. I wired, and powered up everything and all was fine. But, when starting to play music, one amp within maybe 10 seconds tripped out on its protection circuitry. I immediately shut everything down and put them back into the other system and both amps are fine.

So, I am assuming the the M700’s will not drive electrostatic speakers?

It certainly won’t hurt the M700s so feel free to try again. The transformer on the electrostat can sometimes dip low enough to trip the protection circuitry.

I use my M700s to drive a pair of Martin Logan Ethos electrostatic speakers and have not experienced any shutdown problems. Now, one caveat with these speakers is that each woofer is driven by their own internal 200 WPC class D amplifier. As such, the M700s are driving only the electrostatic panel.

The sound of my electrostatics speakers with the M700 is the best I have ever heard them. In comparison with my other class A/B and class D amplifiers, the M700 presents the most realistic soundstage by far.

Thanks. Indeed, the M700s should be able to drive just about anything to gorgeous heights.

Anyone read the review of M700 in Stereophile yet? I saw the February issue is out but I have not received my copy yet. Just wondering how the review read.

3.5mm stereo,mono or either to trigger the Stellar series, thanks.

Drumnman2, I assume you are asking a question on which plug to use. Assuming that is correct, I don’t have Stellar series, but the BHK series uses a mono plug. I’m almost certain all PS Audio use the same trigger jacks so mono would be the one for Stellar. Not sure if a stereo would work, but all you are sending is a 12 VDC signal so no need for stereo.

Stereo should work but mono is all that is required.

Thanks. I had figured on mono but they were a little hard to find but I got some off Amazon.

yuhyma said

Anyone read the review of M700 in Stereophile yet? I saw the February issue is out but I have not received my copy yet. Just wondering how the review read.

The review was very favorable without being gushing. . . . Worth reading. If I were in the market for amps I’d probably get a pair on trial. . . but I’m in love with my tube amps.