m700 vs S300

Hi,

I’m new to the forum.

I’ve just received my DS DAC and memory player.

They are used with Class d audio top of the line power amp.

I’m a big fan of class D amps. (Well, I have to admit that I have another system that is tube preamp/amp - single driver speakers based.)

I’m really impressed with the synergy between them and considering Stellar line amp.

I wonder - is there any difference in sound quality between M700 and S300?

For this system I have Fritz Carbon 7 speakers plus Audiosmile super tweeters. They are 87 dB efficient.

It’s not only the money, it’s also positioning. As you probably know, there is consensus (between forum members) that M700 sound better unstacked , although that somehow came up after the “Stereophile” review and I didn’t see any comments form PS audio staff about this claim/observation.

I wonder if anyone was able to compare both amps?

Thank you.

1 Like

Welcome!

An excellent question. I have not heard both and thus cannot comment.

. . . there is consensus (between forum members) that M700 sound better unstacked , although that somehow came up after the “Stereophile” review . . .
True in both respects. It appears no one thought of unstacking the amps and the review provided an incentive to try.

Tell us more abut your tube based system, flea amp?

bakalovbob said:

It’s not only the money, it’s also positioning. As you probably know, there is consensus (between forum members) that M700 sound better unstacked , although that somehow came up after the “Stereophile” review and I didn’t see any comments form PS audio staff about this claim/observation.

As soon as I read the review I unstacked them and built some diy isolation feet. To me, it seemed to bring the sound stage into clear focus - instruments were placed very distinctly. I started a thread titled "unstacked" here but did not get many other unstackers to respond. It was suggested that many had never stacked them to begin with.

My Maggies have an estimated 83.5dB(B)/2.83V/m sensitivity and they thrive on the M700’s.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum. I have the M700s in my second system (stacked, for now) but have not heard the M300. Paul has suggested the M700 is significantly better. Owners of the M300 seem to be quite pleased with their units in general, however.

1 Like

Indeed, the Stellar monoblocks sound noticeably better than their stereo counterpart as do the BHK series. The BHK 300 Monoblocks are the single best sounding power amplifiers I have ever heard in 40 years of audio.

2 Likes

I wholeheartedly concur with that statement. I, too, have owned many wonderful amplifiers over just as many decades, the 300’s are the best amplifiers I have ever owned ! The 250 is similarly wonderful in it’s own right… I ordered another 250 at the start of the black Friday sale and I am still impatiently waiting :slight_smile: I take P S Audio were swamped with orders hence the long waiting time ? I noticed on Instagram many carts loaded up with power amplifiers !

1 Like

To answer Elk’s question:

My other system is: Omega single driver speakers (8.5 inc, mine is number 1 from this type, I can’t remember how Luis is calling them now, they had no name when I ordered them), Wolf’s ear Audio Kitoki amp and Pi’ksii pream (Wolf’s ear is Andrew from Canada), bluesound node 2 and Soekris top of the line R2R DAC, Cambridge audio transport. The cables are Zenwave. I use the bluesound’s DAC for MQA streaming, for the non MQA I use Soekris as a DAC. Oh, forgot :I have 2 Ice Age Audio power cords there, they are amazing!

Zenwave is gold standard that everyone knows about, but the rest of the system (Omega speakers probably excluded) are not that widely recognized, but are of tremendous value.

Hope this help.

1 Like

Very cool. :slight_smile:

Hi Paul, Is it possible to make the S300 to have same SQ as the M700, by using the same input stage as in the M700?

Soon :slight_smile:

Great question @Van! No, and you wouldn’t want to do this. You would do the S300 a disservice by putting the M700’s input stage into the S300. We (@DarrenMyers and Paul) spent weeks fine tuning and tweaking the input stages for the 700s and 300 to sound best with their respective amp modules.

1 Like

I’ve been very happy with the M700’s stacked.

I haven’t heard the S300. I do have a pair of M700’s with around a month of play time. Currently they are stacked. Imaging and sound stage is clear, deep and precise. Once I get my custom stands I’ll unstack them. Looking forward to hearing the difference unstacked.

1 Like