Matrix X-SPDIF 2

So after much going back and forth with both Moon Audio and Matrix about why my MacBook wouldn’t see the X-SPDIF 2 as an audio device, Moon replaced the unit. I just plugged the new unit in and lo and behold it works!! Seems that Moon ended up with a bad batch.

Now time to dive fully into the worm hole and start looking for an LPS!!

7 Likes

So as usual I’m late to the party, in the case the X-SPDIF2 party. But thanks to Vern :grinning: I should have one in my hands soon. I’ve read through a bunch of stuff here, but I guess I’ll ask what may have been asked before -

What’s the recommendation for the best “bang for the buck” way to get up to DSD256 to the input of the SPDIF2? I’d frankly keep using my old Logitech Touch if the EDO update could pass better than 192K, but I’m willing to get a different feeder if it’s comparably priced to the SPDIF2. Yes, I actually do have some higher res DSD music. I’m thinking it’d be nice to finally be able to hear them as delivered.

I already have either an SBooster or a Farad that I can use on the SPDIF2, and a selection of better USB and HDMI cables, so I’m good there. Just need a decent way to feed this puppy.

Hi Tony,

As you may have guessed, there’re a number of ways to skin this particular cat. Some of us, like me, have used HQPlayer by a company called Signalyst. You need to purchase a licence but you can download, install and use for trial purposes but you can only use it for I think it’s 10 minutes at a time until you get the licence. It requires some configuration but I use it in a ‘passthrough’ mode, using no filters or up-sampling. I prefer to leave to what Ted Smith’s done in the DS DAC to manage that stuff. However, a number of members have reported some pleasing results by choosing various filter and up-sampling schemes.

So Mike, are you running this on a dedicated PC and using its USB out to run the SPDIF2?

Currently no. At the moment I’m just using my ‘general purpose’ Windows 10 PC (with WireWorld Silver Starlight 7 USB) for the server and player modules of the HQPlayer software. (I also sometimes use the HQPDcontrol Android app.) Ultimately I plan to set up a NUC (or similar) solution for the server part, locating it as far as practically possible from the DAC and the rest of the system.

I experimented with a Raspberry Pi running the server part but the current RPi hardware doesn’t quite cut it for processing power. At any rate, HQPlayer is supported on a number of platforms.

My config is simple. I run jriver on a windows laptop with fidelizer pro running on the dedicated laptop. I have 4 external hard drives hooked into a usb hub connected to the laptop. Usb is an AQ Diamond w an AQ Mocha hdmi. I think it sounds swell.

1 Like

Thanks @MikeK

@timm, I’m not sure I understand. You have two laptops getting things done? One feeding the music to another one running fidelizer pro?

Tony

This is a newly released and inexpensive way at $399

Interesting. I have respect for what iFi can do. I wonder how good it is? :thinking:

It’s only been on the market since the first of the month but AA, Crutchfield and MD all sell it so you have the return policy to find out if it works for you or send it back. They will soon have their own app but for now it works with Mconnect or Volumio among other DLNA apps.

Sorry. I was unclear. 1 laptop. … fidelizer runs on it. And everything is hooked to it.

Oh forgot about my farad LPS. I think it’s a great add but I thought it sounded great without it too

1 Like

Hiya, this too is my setup, although I upgraded from mocha to diamond and it was very much worth while sonically.

Edit: should add I also have an Auralic G2 between pc and USB.

Thanks @timm. I keep wondering… :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:. How much different is something like a Sonore ultrarendu feeding a X-SPDIF2 compared to a laptop with fidelizer?

I just tried swapping my RAL for an AQ Dragon 48 from the matrix to my Holo May KTE.
A bit of a mixed bag: warmer but less detailed.
This is a loaner from my dealer, it’s their demo, I don’t know how much break in it has, and I just plugged it in out the box.
I will give it some time and compare again.

I’ve seen rave reviews on the dragon. Keep us updated

From reviewers or customers ?

Sorry. Reviewers. I may have seen customers. But I just can’t recall. Is this at a pretty high price point?

It’s all relative. A drop in the ocean for Jeff B.

1 Like

Oh. That means it’s a 2k cable. Lol.

If it is air tube like the RAL just moving it means breakin of dielectric now touching the conductor. But AQ likes not to share much of their cable secret sauce ingredients for fear I suppose if differences between other cables are known.