Matrix X-SPDIF 2

Hi Chris,

I was thinking that perhaps the issue is that you’re using UPnP throughout. Just as a test, try connecting your PC directly to the Matrix (via USB). If you’re using Windows on your PC you’ll need to download from the Matrix Audio support page and install the ASIO driver. If jRiver is capable of ‘talking’ ASIO then you ‘should’ see native DSD at the DSDAC’s I2S inputs. (You ‘should’ see a white light on the Matrix.)

Yes, this is how I was connected before I bought the Aries. That is the next thing to try, pc is currently a long way away. It’s going to be another week before I can play as missus is now at home all this week due to being half-term here (she’s a teacher)

1 Like

I see guys you are discussing DoP vs Native DSD. Last year I have been looking into this in my “amateur way” - trying to find some measurable indications showing out which one is in some way better.
The way of measurement is simple and flawed (as the measurement itself have impact on the results), however in general it gives some picture I think… I was measuring number of Interrupts per second on the RPi CPU core almost dedicated for USB audio handling (cpu0 in RPi4). In general I was curious about how even in time are those interrupts - with thinking - the more even interrupts, the better SQ. Following graph is showing per-second difference of number of interrupts on CPU0:
Right axis corresponds to the per-second difference of interrupts corresponding to yellow line. Left axis corresponds to red line and it displays total number of interrupts on CPU0.

I was quite astonished seeing that DoP actually had less variance in interrupts than Native.
However for other bit-rates it looks different, specifically for DsD128 it is like this.

Can I hear difference? Not sure… :slight_smile: I’m still waiting for RAL HDMI cable ordered back i Feb2021 :confused:

P.S. here is also PCM192 vs DSD128 DoP:

3 Likes

I am putting a Matrix 2 between my Sonore Signature SE and my Directstream. What settings of the dip switches should I use. The Chinese writing of the manual is not great. Figured I would ask here.

1 Like

All switches off. But I have an ultraRendu.

2 Likes

I recently turn the Native/DOP switch to the on position on the Matrix from my streamer, but there is no difference. I get raw DSD whatever position this switch is in.

Guessing no difference as in the end it’s a usb stream.

The CLK switch makes a big difference though, I don’t like it on, but Ted suggested to play with it

Not sure ai follow since it was UsB an is being converted to another digital data stream. I assume you desire i2s into your DS which most find to be appealing.

It’s been a week so far without my matrix. I’m waiting for a new I2S so it’s OOS. I’m running a WW Platinum Silver Starlight 8 USB direct into my DSD from my Auralic Aries. The sound is better than I expected but IMO the sound with the Matrix seemed a little more airy and guitar strings sound more natural. Maybe I’m crazy. New I2S please come soon!

2 Likes

I’m auditioning a Wireworld Silver Sphere HDMI between my Matrix I2S and my DS Sr. and I’m really liking what I’m hearing over my AQ Mocha. Not quite night and day, but far more natural and refined. Bass detail and weight is excellent. Clean overall and tonally well balanced.

$300 retail. I’m thinking it’s a keeper!

3 Likes

I have tried 4 HDMIs on my matrix. None were dissatisfying. But trial as many as you can without buying. The variation is wide and you don’t know better until you hear it.

2 Likes

I settled for the Pangea Audio HD23PC Premier SE HDMI Cable 6% Silver Plate (0.6 Meter) for my Hermes to DS. Other more expensive cables sounds good however I like the detail this one give me.

33 posts were merged into an existing topic: Audioquest Dragon Thread

Has anyone compared the Matrix X-SPDIF 2 with Aurender N100C coaxial output? I’m wondering if having the Matrix between the Aurender and DirectStream Jr. would have better sound quality.

Aurender N100C → Coaxial → DirectStream Jr.
vs.
Aurender N100C → USB → Matrix → I2S/HDMI → DirecStream Jr.

Definitely, converting the signal to I2S with the Matrix is a whole lot better than any of the other outputs. I had an Aurender N-10 and the Matrix made a huge difference, but you need an extra HDMI cable.

If you are going to fall into this rabbit hole, you will have to get something like a Shunyata Sigma USB cable, a Dragon HDMI cable, and a Farad Super 3 LPS for the Matrix and then it will knock the SQ out of the ballpark!! And you will be able to play hi rate DSD which also is really nice.

1 Like

Good to know that Matrix with I2S is better than other outputs, even on the Aurender N10!
But I’m not sure I want to go down that rabbit hole of ultra expensive cables. I was thinking something more modest:

• Nordost Heimdall USB (I have an extra one around and the rest of my system has Heimdall 2 and Frey 2 cables)
  • Audioquest Carbon HDMI (previous generation; on sale for $60).
  • iFi Power X.

Even with those modest cables and LPS, putting the Matrix in your system is still a lot better than without. You should hear it right away. Just be aware it can get even a whole lot better with better cables and LPS. Take your time and save for those upgrades.

2 Likes

Just saw this on the sonore site:

ultraDigital are back in stock and shipping next week. The new ultraDigital is USB bus powered to reduce the number of boxes. Also, the new ultraDigital has a switch to turn off/on the 5V output on HDMI pin 18. Listening to the new ultraDigital here it sounds awesome when paired with a Rendu because of the attention the Rendu series gives to the USB bus power.

For those that don’t know, this is sonore’s version of the matrix. I like the idea of eliminating a power supply. In my case, I could use the fancy power supply (farad) connected to my matrix for the copper to fiber digital converter feeding my optical Rendu (I use the eitherRegen). Might pull the trigger on this.

1 Like

Even a better sounding solution is the Denafrips Hermes DDC. It includes state of the art power supply and OCXO Clocks.

1 Like