May I ask opinions on streamers?

Can you tell us a little bit more about your current system, other than the Chromecast (I guess it is an Chromecast Audio, not?) device? How does your setup look like and what is your budget to spend?

I am currently using a Peachtree Decco hybrid amp with internal DAC, I stream through a Chromecast audio puck, into Omega 7 speakers. Also have Rotel CD player. I would love to upgrade the amp, DAC, and streamer. The Omega speakers are being built now and should be here in a week or so…

I think the best streamer in that price class would be a BlueSound system. Could be a pure streamer (Node) or also a combination of streamer/amp (Powernode). Other than that, you might have to look for separates and then it gets pretty complicated and expensive. If you want to walk the way of going separates, then I recommend to have a look at Schiit Audio - inexpensive and great value. They don’t do streamers, but as you anyway want to replace the Peachtree Decco, Schiit could provide a nice upgrade on that side. Also have a look at this: John Darko about streaming

A SoTM SMS200 Neo is a plug in play streamer that is inexpensive and has great sound quality. Hugely better than the Chromecast audio ( or direct via USB from your computer, or from Apple TV or any other TV device). It’s is also recognized as better sounding than the Bluesound system.

There are a ton of reviews all of the positive. It’s similar to the Sonore MicroRendu, but better. It’s costs $450 new from SoTM but there are usually used ones out there because SoTM makes an improved model the SMS200 Ultra Neo and huge numbers on non “Ultra” owners upgrade to the Ultra model. So, you can pick them up for $300 to $375 used.

It’s a network streamer - you plug it into an Ethernet cable attached to your router and then stream files from Tidal, Qobuz or other streaming services. It comes standard with many streaming protocalls that work with Roon, Audionirvana Pro, Squeezelite, MPD, BubbleuPnP and others. However, it only outputs via USB so your Peachtree would have to be able accommodate that.

I receomend it, because I bought the SMS 200 non-ultra and loved it. I sold it used and bought the “Ultra” version about 7 months later and find it to be a great addition.

2 Likes