MC Cartridge Advice, $1-2K zone

My dealer spoke very highly of the DV XX2. Since I saved a few bucks (quite a few actually) by getting a used power supply and arm board, I decided to go with another DV TKR. A great cartridge but about double the OP’s budget.

well, the verdict…

1 Like

My Le Son LS10 MkII cartridge arrived yesterday.
Postage door to door (China to Australia) took 16 days. Tracking information was excellent.
It was well packed and seems to have survived the journey.

No frequency plot for the cartridge was supplied.

My TT guru gets back from Munich on June 6 so I’m hoping to have it installed within a week from then.

4 Likes

Great news! Give us your impressions once you’ve got it singing.

2 Likes

Hi all. Just reporting on my Le Son LS10 MkII cartridge…
The manufacturer recommends a 30hr break-in period.
I’m around 1/2 way through and it gets better with every listen.

The cartridge it replaced (Soundsmith ‘The Voice’ moving iron) has a more sophisticated cantilever and stylus profile and costs over double that of the Le Son.
Even so, the Le Son bests the 13 year old Soundsmith in most parameters. Bass in particular is much less flabby, tighter and more tuneful with the LeSon.
The one area it trails is with ‘air’ around instruments in the soundstage.
The LeSon renders a large soundstage with individual instruments identifiable but the whole image is more homogeneous compared to the Soundsmith which paints instruments in a more individual way. i.e. more ‘air’ around some instruments.

Early on in Walking in Your Footsteps on the Police album Synchronicity, there are some sticks tapped together. With the Soundsmith, these sticks occupy their own space in the soundstage. With the Le Son, the sticks are in the same place in the soundstage and just as easy to pinpoint, but they blend in with the rest of the sonic picture.

But remember the Le Son is still breaking in and is improving. And despite the above, I feel the Le Son is already a keeper.

1 Like

thank you

your description of air around instruments is analogous to my description of performer spaces, ie position as well as immediately surrounding space

looking forward to your burn-in progress

Not sure where to put this, so revived an older thread…

Hungover (a few to many at dinner last night) and bored (raining in Buffalo today) I set up my spare Cadenza Red for something to do and a change of pace

Also took my usual phono stage out and put in a spare phono, a Channel Islands PEQ with power supply

This $1,200 or so cart is a great performer in this price point, dynamic, with drive and detail, just really enjoying listening to it this afternoon

Not going to seriously challenge my Kleos SL, for me anyway, but certainly doesn’t embarrass itself! The PEQ? don’t know if there is better for the money…

Best,
-JP

2 Likes

I love doing stuff like that.
btw–I covet your tonearm—and Avenger.

1 Like

The 4 Point is the best, most flexible, most adjustable tone arm I’ve owned, I may never part with it

Planning to send it in to have the “jeweled” bearing cups installed, currently has the steel, vs the ruby/sapphire. Supposed to be a significant upgrade, will soon find out

Ron - still running the maxed out Linn?

Best,
-JP

1 Like

The jeweled cups make perfect sense, as they do in fine mechanical watch movements.
I’m still very happy with the Linn. Since it’s the “Klimax” version with the “Ekstatik” cartridge, how could I not be? :grinning:
BTW, I bought a Wally Tractor and was amazed and happy to find almost no perceptible horizontal tonearm friction. It’s a fiddly, but essential tool imo.
I just wish I had a removable headshell.

Yeah, nice rig, for sure!

SMARTractor user here

Get a good night’s rest and listen again tomorrow.