McIntosh Labs sold again, and again, and...

I have been a McIntosh crazy for all my audio life. The Mac gene was inherited from my late Father who was President & Managing Director of the National Symphony Orchestra (NSO).

I currently use 4 x MC501’s to bi-amp Von Scheweikert VR5 Anniversary MKII speakers. I prowl AudioGon daily for a C500(T) Preamp, but they never show up. Must be a message in there somewhere.

We Mac crazies have weathered many a sale of this legendary company. Here we go again.

http://www.cepro.com/article/mcintosh_sold_again_in_management_buyout_of_fine_sounds/

A piece of trivia: What was Jerry Garcia’s favorite amp? You can often see them behind the Grateful Dead during their live performances. That’s right! The MC3500 (aka The Woodstock Amp).

smiley-music005_gif

Well, at least it looks like they are in good company. Let’s hope for the best.

I to have coveted Macintosh gear for years. I was lucky enough to add their MC4200 amp into my system a few years back to power my Martin Logan Summits and have been extremely happy. I would like to add their C2300 tube preamp in a Theater bypass mode, but right now in my current situation that would just be decadent overkill of which I can’t afford.

T

At long last! I finally found a McIntosh C500(T) preamp on AudioGon. Joy! Well, maybe not. It is the 2nd owner, non-factory repair work, very early SN# production run, 1500 hours on tubes, plus the guy wants $300.00 for FedEx. Where is he shipping form? Beyond Saturn? So, no go.

Merde.