Mconnect-Control & PSAudio Issue/Thoughts

Take a look at you DirectStream settings. Check if your bridge has an IP address. If not, do the rain dance. Restart everything (DSD and your network devices).

The best control point I know (apart Roon) is bubble upnp (Android only).

Thanks, it did and it does have an IP address. But the gateway is 0.0.0.0 and whenever I set it to 192.168.0.1 it switches back to 0.0.0.0.
I tried to download the program on my Android Galaxy S10 but it refuses to open. How is bubble upon used? If I understand correctly the only way MQA is supported is through the bridge 2.

Maybe you could try this: connect BridgeII to a (DHCP/UPnP enabled) router and enable DHCP on the Bridge display, this worked fine to me for years. And yes, streaming Tidal with mConnectcontrol to BridgeII will do the complete MQA-unfold up to 24/196.

Hmmm, lemmesee. The Bridge II is connected to a switch, the switch is connected to a router, DHCP is enabled and being used. The router connects to yet another switch which has an eero wifi device hooked up to it. The iPad connects up to the eero network, and the Bridge II hooks up to Ethernet.
So, should I find a way to enable UPnP on the router? Hmmm.
I appreciate the help!

EDIT: I made sure the router had UPnP enabled. I connected the eero device directly to one of the four ports on the router. The feed to the switch that the DSD is on is in another of those four ports. Still no love with MConnect Control HD.

Maybe “HD” is the issue.

I use mconnectControl 2.4.14. which was/is free and it works.

I prefer JRemote, though.

FWIW.

I would attempt to “ping” the Bridge II card using its assigned IP address of 192.168.0.1. If the ping fails, then you know the router is not able to communicate with the Bridge card. Then I would pull the Bridge card, reboot without, shut down DSD, reinstall BII card and power it back up.

I have used the regular and HD version when I had my BII and both worked so I don’t think it is the app version.

On your Eero mesh wifi network, I assume the extenders use the same SSID? (i.e. “homeWifi” and not “homeWifi_EXT”)

If you are able to connect a Windows machine to the same which of the bridge, you can try to access it with the windows mConnect windows app (the same you can use to update the firmware). This way, you may determine if the issue is with your network topology, or the bridge itself.

About bubble, it functions similarly as the mConnect app (only much better interface). The bridge will be in charge to unfold mqa, as with mConnect.

I have never encountered any difficulty downloading and using bubble

Problem solved after finally accepting Roon as my personal savior.

4 Likes

IMO, that’s the best solution available.

2 Likes

I wish the BubbleUPnP guys would port it over to work in an Apple environment. MConnect is nowhere near as good.

I’ve had my DSD Sr/Bridge2 for about 6 weeks now - took out a Qobuz trial at the same time and controlling via MConnect on my iPad. Bridge2 is Cat6 ethernet hardwired over 50 feet to an Apple Router and then ethernet to the Cable company modem. Upgraded from Oppo105D playing CD/DVD Audio/SACD direct (RCA outs) into my integrated 300B SET amp/Unison Research Max2 speakers. Hence two new changes for me - a high end DAC and streaming.

Soundwise I prefer the overall musicality, depth of soundstage and instrument separation when streaming MConnect/Qobuz/Bridge2 vs spinning the same album via CD on the Oppo105/Coax into the DSD Sr.

Case in point; the first track on the CD of The Rolling Stones - A Bigger Bang, has the band playing grungy and overdriven with lots of forward driven drums, aggressive guitars and gnarly vocals. Very brash (appropriately so) but somewhat 2 dimensional (not so appealing) on the CD via Oppo105D/Coax into DSD Sr. Still better instrument separation and stage presence than Oppo to amp without the DSD Sr DAC. However, via MConnect/Qobuz, the same album is available as standard output, not hi rez. Now the soundstage opens up behind the speakers with engaging presence and is more listenable.

Bottom line, i prefer listening to my current CD music collection (where available) streamed from Qobuz even without hi rez, controlled via MConnect. I’ve had no issues at all running MConnect, although I haven’t figured out how to share favorites across from the MConnect Lite app on my iPhone with MConnect on my iPad. I’m using the free apps, so maybe i have to pay a few dollars for the paid app to increase integration.

Very happy with sound quality (Snowmass) and now need more hours than available to explore the amazing selection on Qobuz!

Bubble unpn far surpasses Mconnect in user consistency! (its a Android app) I changed and the bonus is that it SOUNDS better than Mconnect . Not sure its supposed to matter but its smoother and more refined. not just my ears heard this but confirmed by others !

I will need to beg my wife’s android phone and try Bubble unpn vs MConnect on the iPad. That’ll be a fun comparison. Will feedback anything new I find to forum.

1 Like

I have now had a chance to compare Bubble unpn on an Android tablet versus MConnect on iPad. I find the iPad MConnect overall a more elegant and pleasurable experience in my situation. I am listening to Qobuz Studio on DSD (Windom) with Bridge 2. This is a closed system, I am simply streaming Qobuz from my Apple router via an ethernet (Cat6) connected to the Bridge2. I am using the free version of MConnect. The end to end system simply clicks together really well and sounds terrific in my dedicated listening room. I find the sound better (soundstage depth and overall musicality) than playing the same CD’s on my Oppo105 via coax into the DSD. I have had to sacrifice listening to my existing SACD collection, however since most of my SACD’s are Classical, Qobuz has plenty of good alternatives.

I guess you could say I am tentatively self diagnosing myself to be in remission from the upgrade bug and only time will tell if it is temporary or how long it will last! Now the only thing in short supply is sufficient time to listen to all the great music out there without becoming completely anti-social to my wife!

I have since changed a bit . Going back and forth between them both there IS a difference in sound. With my new Synergystic Research under the DAC the Mconnect is more 3 d holographic. The Bubble app is very wide with a tad softer grain and center image. I know its crazy as they are just controllers but the way they do it changes the sound

Try both as no two systems are the same ! Caveat Emptor

I just wish Mconnect provided more control for the operator. I cannot, for example, sort by newest to oldest. After I rip a stack of new CDs and say go back to my system the next day, it would sure be nice to just have Mconnect rack them all up for easy selection.

MConnect, and I did use it briefly, is a very good reason by and streamer/server need a a really good interface of its own or be Roon Ready. When I used uPnP for about 2 years I used Bubble. It was generally good but had its moments and technical issues.

It’s not the world greatest app. It’s the best we have for the moment. Can’t wait for Octave to hit the scene.

I am relatively new to streaming, having installed a Bridge II and signed up for TIDAL few months ago. I loaded MConnect(Control)HD (which seems to be required for Tidal/Bridge II) on to my iPad and although a bit clunky, works fine, including MQA where available. But I do not see MConnect(Control) HD available for download on to my iPhone 8S, only the non-HD version, and I cannot get it to control Tidal on Bridge II. Am I missing something, or is this the way it is? Neal

Grab an Android device, version Kit Kat or higher and use bubbleupnp. Much better experience than mconnect.

Or, if you use a nas, install bubbleupnp media server in your nas, configure the bridge as open home device, and use the free lumin app (iOS or Android). Also, much better then mconnect