Mediterranean Concerto

I listen to nothing but Classical music in my workshop, even Jazz is not allowed. I heard this the other day on our local classical station and though that I would share. I’m not too much of a “Pops” guy but with John McLaughlin involved it caught my attention. It looks weird to see a guitarist use a pick onstage with an orchestra, but maybe I don’t get out enough. Sorry about the poor video quality, hope you enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_2A0GPLWg

A little further searching found a duet with Katia Labeque from the same release. It is a nice composition and well played by both. Unfortunately, the use of the FM synthesizer ruined it for me. This would have been beautiful as guitar and grand piano alone. Maybe it’s just me but when FM synthesis hit the scene in the 80’s I thought it was great but now I can’t stand to hear patches like this. Maybe it was just overused in Jazz and Pop music, or again, maybe just me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyPyIxO6wHE

wglenn said: It looks weird to see a guitarist use a pick onstage with an orchestra . . .

It really does. :) Nice music however.

I agree with the synthesizer comment.

I amused however that every synthesizer will have a patch imitating the sound of a Yamaha DX7 FM synthesis based synthesizer replicating a Rhodes piano. The DX7 Rhodes sound was ubiquitous and is now a standard.

Many now hearing a real Rhodes think it is fake as they are so accustomed to the DX7's imitation.

I do worship JM in his arena but I can’t help imagining how his piece would sound arranged for and played by a classical guitarist. Probably pretty amazing.

Elk said: I amused however that every synthesizer will have a patch imitating the sound of a Yamaha DX7 FM synthesis based synthesizer replicating a Rhodes piano.

Oh, the irony of it. The real suitcases had a real bite to them, particularly when amped up the way that Miles made Herbie do it. My understanding of it is that he sort of pointed to the EP/guitar amp combo and said, (sic) “Use that.” Kind of wordy for Miles. :smiley:

Great story.

It’s probably true. :slight_smile: