Metallic noise from PWD 2

Hi,
I’m using the P10 for controlling all my stereo component electricity.
The pwd dac and the computer are on the same zone.
While powering on this zone, turning on the computer and the dac simultaneously then playing music from the computer I hear metallic noise, it’s most noticeable when hearing bass sound.
Only after turning the dac completely off from main switch and then on the noise disappear.
Any idea?
Thx

Not sure what this means - or what sound you’re referring to. I will suggest it’s not a great idea to power up the computer and DAC at the same time - likely better to keep the DSAC on all the time and use the front panel standby button instead.

I echo Paul’s comments. My first thought on reading the post was that having the DAC and computer on the same P10 zone is about the least desirable configuration possible.

Also as Paul said, try leaving the DAC on all the time - it really does better when kept warm.

J.P.

Hi Pual,

Thank you for your reply.

The sound is a metallic sound that added to the bass sound. If I don’t play music i don’t hear it or after hard switch off and on.

IfI understood you right it’s not recommended to turn the dac completely off each time, is that right?

Hi J.P

Thank you, from what I read computer and dac are both digital sources so they should be on the same zone in the PS10.

Why you think differently?

Yes, a DAC is a digital component, but it is also an analog component - both are right in the name: Digital (to) Analog Converter. In the conversion process it handles analog signals at a low level. The only analog components that work with a lower signal level would be tape and phono. This leaves the DAC in kind of a no man’s land or gray zone: better if isolated from the pure analog components but also (in my opinion) isolated from pure digital devices such as a computer, switch or router.

One thing to consider is that almost all computer power supplies are ugly, noisy switching beasts, rarely designed with any consideration other than taking power from the mains and feeding ‘acceptable’ quality power to the computer components. The mains side can range fron almost as noisy as a light dimmer to about as clean as a well designed linear supply, with the average trending well towards the noisy side. These really are best kept well away from anything audio related.

Most good quality DACs, PS Audio included, have well designed power supplies - designed to play well with other audio equipment. This is why I think that the DAC would be better paired with the analog components rather than the computer.

All this might go out the window IF your computer has an exceptionally good and quiet power supply.

Of course, all of this is only one opinion - mine - but I hope that it helps, or at least provides some food for thought.

J.P.

J.P. explained this very nicely. I pair my SACD player with the DS DAC in a zone since they are both in that no-man’s land. I am not sure I would even plug a computer into the P10 at all. You might try listening with the computer plugged in elsewhere and then supplied from the P10 and see what you hear. The digital nasties fed back from the computer might outweigh the benefits of the computer possibly outputting a cleaner signal when plugged into the P10. A good linear power supply for the computer might be a worthwhile investment.

avid said Hi Pual,

Thank you for your reply.

The sound is a metallic sound that added to the bass sound. If I don’t play music i don’t hear it or after hard switch off and on.

IfI understood you right it’s not recommended to turn the dac completely off each time, is that right?

Correct. The DAC was designed to be left powered on at all times. The front panel logo button will turn off the display and outputs, but if you leave power to it on and the rear panel switch on, that will solve the problem and give you better sound.

Will do, thank you all for your help and knowledge sharing.