MM? MC? cartridges

Do you use a MM cartridge? Why?
Do you use a high output MC? Why?
Do you use a low output MC? Why?

Low output MC. The sound is just more natural, delicate yet dynamic

2 Likes

Both. MM and a low-output MC. Both are good, sound different. The MMs (an AT VM95ML and a Linn K9) have better PRaT and more life. The Rega Ania and AT OC9 are more detailed and dimensional, but don’t have the propulsiveness/PRaT of the MMs.

Low output moving iron. Soundsmith zephyr . Dynamic and airy.

1 Like

I’m using a low output MC, a Shelter 901, on a VPI Aries. To my way of thinking, years ago MC were the audiophile thing to get. Time has changed that and so has technology, all types of cartridges can sound very good. The best of the best seem to be mostly MC, but I find it lunacy to spend $10k or more for a cartridge. Of course if I had Aangen level of funds maybe it would only be a little silly. I’m actually thinking of a replacement and not sure what to get. Will be interested to see if any new information comes of this thread.

Back in the day, if you were a serious “Audiophile” you just had to have a moving coil cartridge. Otherwise, you might as well look over your shoulder for pitchforks from the purists who would label you as the “unwashed” (now we just say they must not have a resolving system). However, there was a dirty little secret, the Shure V15MR moving magnet. It was said there were many a closeted audiophile who owned these cartridges, but would never admit to it.

2 Likes

The V15MR was my “gateway” cartridge, leading me to the slightly stronger Stanton 681EEE all the way up to my current fix, an Ortofon Cadenza Bronze, one of five cartridges recommended by VPI for my Prime Signature.

1 Like

Low output MC.
My dealer recommended it.

1 Like

Low output MC (Ortofon Quintet Black S).

I upgraded from a MM (Ortofon 2M Blue).

Found much tighter and deeper bass, vocals were more forward and far more natural, highs shimmered a bit brighter, and much better separation of instruments. Generally a far more revealing sound.

Last 7 years: low output MC
Engaging sound
Believable acoustics
3+ decades before that : high output MC
Good, but less natural than low output

Same here - trusted his experience with arm / cart matching. Went from Denon 103r to Hana SL. No regrets.

*Low output MC (Rega Aphelion2).

*Wanted the simplicity of 3-point mounting on my Rega RP-10, TT/arm/cart synergy and lowest moving mass (at least for an MC design).

*The sound is truly sublime.

*And the cart comes with a custom-designed 0.4 N-m torque wrench that could be displayed as a center piece on your dining table (if you’re a crazy audiophile like almost everyone here!)

1 Like

I agree with everybody so far🤠

1 Like

For years an MM then in 2020 with my mind slowly melting from world events, I switched to low-output MC. Never going back - the difference was pretty stark on my system (although I added a Stellar Phono Pre at the same time, which skews the experiement).

1 Like

I used MMs until sometime in the '90s when I tried a high output MC - the first bare-armature Blue Point Special. This was pre-EVO III, and for some reason the model seems to have disappeared from history, but I had it and really enjoyed it for many years. Here’s a photo of it, admittedly dusty, in my old Infinity Black Widow arm:

It finally got old enough that I was convinced I was hearing the result of hardened elastomers. Whether that was actually happening or not, it was time to move on, but my budget made an open-box deal on an Ortofon 2M Bronze moving magnet too difficult to pass up, and I’ve been extremely happy with it - warm, engaging, dynamic and detailed. Here it is on my Scout:

6 Likes

The Bronze was my favorite MM from the 2M line. Putting a smile on my face after a full day of work means it was going the job.

3 Likes

There is something about the skeletal bodied cartridge concept that makes it sound right. My Sumiko Starling keeps singing and for some brands (e.g. Lyra) it is the design baseline for the entire product line. Best guess is the idea of minimizing resonances by just minimizing all mass to the extent possible since all mass resonates is well grounded in physics. Downside? Touching my Starling cart for any reason at all causes my stress level to shoot through the ceiling. Hate that.

2 Likes

I owned a black for a long time. I was very happy with it. Enjoy, it’s a great line of cartridges as you now know.

1 Like

I have had an Ortofon 2M Black cart for about 7 years and been pretty pleased with it. I have thought about moving up to one of Ortofon’s higher end MC carts. However, I broke a cart a couple of years ago. It was an older cart with a lot of hours on it, so it was not the end of the world. Would have been pretty painful if it were a newer $3K MC cart.

1 Like