Mood Music for Shutdown?

If things drag out with the gov’t shutdown and our FFRDC runs out of money, the good news is that I’ll have lots of time to listen to music. The bad news is that all the money I was trying to save for new AN2’s will go to pay the mortgage. (No, the bad part of working at an FFRDC is that we won’t get paid retroactively once the shutdown show is over. Note: FFRDC = Federally Funded Research and Development Center)

So I won’t be in the best of moods as I place carefully-laid financial plans aside.

What music would you play?

Other than Gregorian chants and other music to mope by?

:slight_smile:

The Border Song?

I would play the music that has helped me through similar trying times before, which fall into two groups of recordings.

The first: the 1968 to 1975 recordings of Miles Davis, especially “In a Silent Way,” “Bitches Brew,” “Big Fun,” “Get Up with It,” “Miles Davis at Fillmore” and “Agharta.” This music has been with me since my first stereo system and always kicks me into a great mental state.

The second is music by Louis Armstrong, Fats Waller and Duke Ellington. These three greats of the jazz world created music that uplifts me, amazes me and challenges me and takes me outside my present life into a realm of alternating currents of joy and adventure.

1 Like

If you want to stay bummed, then Lou Reed’s “Berlin”. The original release, not the live one. While the live one is really good, it is not as depressing.

Jonathan Richman and The Modern Lovers
“Back In Your Life” and most of his early albums. Or the B-52s, first two albums. Those should cheer you up.

Pink Floyds The Wall , Disc 1, Mother.

[Edit: I removed the political comment, even though it was mild. Elk]

1 Like

Bummer Streets. I’d play whatever music makes you happiest.

Not a commentary on the present situation, but I really like this music:

CD: https://www.amazon.com/Dedicated-Victims-Terror-SHOSTAKOVICH-SCHNITTKE/dp/B00004U2ZJ
I have the SACD: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shostakovich-Chamber-Symphony-Schnittke-Concerto/dp/B00005KA13 but I’m not sure how available it is.

I am very sorry you are caught up in this. I suspect many do not appreciate that contractors will not receive retroactive pay, restaurants catering to federal workers will not be compensated, etc. Losing a month+ pay is dreadful.

On the classical side, many would suggest A German Requiem by Brahms.

After 9/11 there were may such lists. Perhaps a Google search will locate something you find helpful/interesting.

The Grateful Dead’s, U.S. Blues featuring Jerry Garcia

Yeah, lyrics don’t address the current politic, but it bogies and will put you a good mood.

Chas

Billy Joel.
Allentown
We Didn’t Start The Fire

Genesis
Land of Confusion

David Bowie
Under Pressure

Queen
The Show must go on.

Those carried me for 8 years, 2 years ago.

If you’re having some overly aggressive feelings and feel the need to vent a bit, I suggest . . .

. . . turned up to 11 . . .

Or, if you’re feeling more introspective, there’s the contemporary philosopher John Michael Osbourne:

Crazy, but that’s how it goes
Millions of people living as foes
Maybe. it’s not too late
To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Mental wounds not healing
Life’s a bitter shame
I’m goin’ off the rails on a crazy train

I’ve listened to preachers,
I’ve listened to fools
I’ve watched all the dropouts
Who make their own rules
One person conditioned to rule and control
The media sells it and you live the role

Mental wounds still screaming
Driving me insane

Not intending to get political here, but when Ozzy becomes the voice of reason, you know we’re in deep . . .

With the DC Kabuki Theater performance over (hopefully), you’ll still get those AN-2’s.

listen to Clifford Brown’s “Joy Spring”

We’re fast approaching Shutdown II, and if it goes on for too long this time I won’t get paid if I get furloughed as I work for a contractor, not the gov’t itself. All we can do is wait and see.

Thanks.

–SSW

ugh! horrible.

Maddening! I think if I were “shutdown” for a SECOND time (I was a state government employee for thirty years so I can put myself in that mindset) I would listen to Sun Ra for a month.

Can you file for unemployment?
To be honest, I don’t know if that still exists, and if it is a State or Federal program. I used to know a few seasonal workers who would get it for a few months.
Let’s hope those responsible, learned it is a terrible, foolish move.