Much improved sound by elevating speaker cables

Yes, but Home Depot has them for 1/2 the Amazon price! :wink:

1 Like

I waiting for someone to come out with a cable that is inside a vacuum casing.

Hey guys are you really able to keep separated ICs and PCs cables following the rules? Really?
Iā€™ve just re-built my rack and tried that mission impossible. Nothing to do. Not enough room, location of the outlets (think about the 13 on the back of the P20), place of the components, distance from the wall, etc etc
I lost my game again.
I had to abandon the idea.
The only speaker cables (and subs that run a similar path) are scrupulously elevated from the floor and separated from any other cable all along the 90% of their route. Just on the last 10% close to the amps they are dangerously crossing a few power cords, that is inherently unavoidable (see where outlets are located, itā€™s impossible, and the mess of cables hooked to the P20!). 90 degrees crossing, almost.
Every other ICs necessarily must face compromises, Iā€™m afraid out of rules.
At the end of the day if you take a look behind the rack, between wall and components, there is a distance of 20 cm. Iā€™ve done my best but is not enough.

Here the ā€œspaghettiā€ word can easily define the confused things I have, because of Iā€™m italian with a proved expertise in this area, I could also better say more ā€œzitiā€ than ā€œspaghettiā€.
Iā€™m giving up!

Iā€™ā€™m so curious and Iā€™m launching the CHALLENGE: post your pics ā€œbehind my rackā€!

10 Likes

Ah ah ah! Thanks to my previous pic I found a Dragon plugged in a wrong direction, got it and fixed! Schuko polarity, another thing to take care.
The importance of this forum!

1 Like

Where are the pappardelle, my favorite pasta? That is more like your power cord sizing. :joy:

I use little Styrofoam blocks to separate the power cords from IC at least.

1 Like

If you canā€™t hear a 'problem", then you donā€™t have one. Just enjoy your hifi.

1 Like

Let me say I cannot hear a difference because I cannot have different cable management, right or wrong thatā€™s it.
Looking forward some pics of back rack members. Searching for some inspirationā€¦

Pappardelle are not in Spaghetti category, they are flatten and shorter. When youā€™ll be in Toscana, give a try to Pappardelle al sugo di cinghiale. A must from traditional cuisine, not translated to avoid unveiling too much.

2 Likes

Luckly, I do not have analog anymore. Yours is hopeless I am afraid.

2 Likes

Bingo! Thatā€™s what Iā€™m referring to: imagine examples to share ideas! Great, thanks!

Any other courageous member?

When I got my new amps I pulled out four power cords no longer connected to anything. Plus three fiber optic Toslink cables also no longer used. Then the home theater cables and bi wire cables and trigger cables.

1 Like

One thing nice about a three foot tall power amplifier is the distance provided between the power and signal cables. Itā€™s over a foot. Power low, signal high!

4 Likes

It may look a bit of a mess, but all of the cables are actually carefully dressed to cross at angles or to be kept multiple inches apart. This was the back side of my vinyl playback system circa 2018, now no longer with us. Note the use of wood extensions, cotton string and tape to hang cables. Cardboard tubes cut into 3" lengths work great to create suspension hangers on cotton strings for interconnect cables (not visible under the rack shelves). Folded cardboard ā€œVā€ stands support power cables crossing over or under one another. Clearly arranged for function, not aesthetics. :wink:

The front side of the equipment rack:

5 Likes

I was using cardboard shaped like an A frame to raise my speaker cables and just tried this rebar high chair pieces. Ended up going back to the cardboard because the plastic risers seemed to suck some of the life out of the music. Things were more closed in and dampened down.

Did/do you have an air bearing or vacuum hold down on that turntable? What model is/was it?

This turntable was the Walker Audio Proscenium with air bearing tonearm and air bearing platter. An earlier model to the one you can see here.

Oh my goodness! A Walker! And you have walked away from vinyl??!!
You have made such a strong and oh so positive impression on me thus far. This is hard for me to accept if it is true.

A flaw! A flaw!

Heh, yes. Thus my severe trauma making the transition. But hundreds of pounds of turntable and LPs were not going to fit in an apartment. :face_with_diagonal_mouth:

1 Like

Did you sell the vinyl already?

Oh yes, all long gone except for a few stragglers still on Discogs.

2 Likes