Multiple USB Input Question DirectStream

I have a DirectStream DAC and I use a MicroRendu for music and a PC for Video playback.

I am currently having to unplug and replug the MicroRendu usb cable or the PC usb cable into the DAC depending on whether I am listening to music or watching video.

Is there a way to put some sort of switch or hub that could allow them both to be hooked up at the same time.

I hope I am missing something obvious…

They make USB hubs and they’re pretty common. You might try one of those.

Here’s one that would likely work.

I have one of those.

I was wondering if I just use a USB B type to A type converter adapter in the back of the DirectStream?

In theory is any of this adapter and hub combination going to change anything in SQ when I am using high end USB cables and equipment?

I understand I can answer my own question by listening but curious what is other’s experience…

Beware of a possible need of powering the USB hub externally.

Frode said Beware of a possible need of powering the USB hub externally.
I know, I have had issue with not enough power with the powerless hubs when just using multiple non audio peripherals like hard drive and keyboard on the same hub. I didn't know how it would work on audio usb connections.

I will have to experiment.

I would rather just manually change out usb than use a powered hub I think.

Paul McGowan said They make USB hubs and they're pretty common. You might try one of those.

Here’s one that would likely work.

I’m afraid that won’t work.

The PC and the Rendu are both USB host devices and the DS DAC is a USB client device.

The USB hub allows you to plug one host to multiple clients.

What we would need is a USB switch.

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Sharing-One-Button-Swapping-Computers/dp/B00JX3Q28Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1470462521&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=USB+switch&psc=1

But I am not sure how well this would work with the DAC.

Does the LAN Rover allow you to have multiple USB hosts (PC side) with one USB client on the other end?

[multiple unnecessary quotes deleted]

PS Audio customer support told me the same thing… That the USB hub would not work. I didn’t see how a hub was going to allow the DS DAC to switch between USB inputs.

I wonder if the USB switch effects SQ?

So after a few hours the last couple of nights I am now more up to date on this topic.

I am more interested in finding a way to use the IS2 input than another USB.

I have narrowed down some options. Most of you may be completely aware of these but I thought I might at least wrap up this thread with some suggestions instead of just questions.

Options:

1. Bridge II (No DSD support) I don’t know if that matters with the DirectStream. Looks like a great option though…

2. Pink Faun IS2 bridge (No DSD support) I might add it to my PC server anyway.

3. Audiobyte Hydra Z and Hydra ZPM (This is probably my selection unless I am told why not.) I like the ability to try all kinds of outputs from one unit. Plus DSD and DXD support is offered.

4. There are some Pi options out there but that is over my head in computer and electrical knowledge. I am not sure that DSD is an option either.

I might just add them all and enjoy the different options. Though none of it is cheap, well maybe the Pi options are. But none of it is that expensive relative to the other items in the audio mix.

Christopher W. said So after a few hours the last couple of nights I am now more up to date on this topic.

I am more interested in finding a way to use the IS2 input than another USB.

I have narrowed down some options. Most of you may be completely aware of these but I thought I might at least wrap up this thread with some suggestions instead of just questions.

Options:

1. Bridge II (No DSD support) I don’t know if that matters with the DirectStream. Looks like a great option though…

2. Pink Faun IS2 bridge (No DSD support) I might add it to my PC server anyway.

3. Audiobyte Hydra Z and Hydra ZPM (This is probably my selection unless I am told why not.) I like the ability to try all kinds of outputs from one unit. Plus DSD and DXD support is offered.

4. There are some Pi options out there but that is over my head in computer and electrical knowledge. I am not sure that DSD is an option either.

I might just add them all and enjoy the different options. Though none of it is cheap, well maybe the Pi options are. But none of it is that expensive relative to the other items in the audio mix.

For option 1. The B2 does support DSD via DOP

Christopher W. said 3. Audiobyte Hydra Z and Hydra ZPM (This is probably my selection unless I am told why not.) I like the ability to try all kinds of outputs from one unit. Plus DSD and DXD support is offered.
My Rockna WDN now support DSD256 and DSD512 (as DoP over I2s). I would expect that the Audiobyte HZ also may be transparent for those formats when supported over USB.
Frode said
Christopher W. said 3. Audiobyte Hydra Z and Hydra ZPM (This is probably my selection unless I am told why not.) I like the ability to try all kinds of outputs from one unit. Plus DSD and DXD support is offered.

My Rockna WDN now support DSD256 and DSD512 (as DoP over I2s). I would expect that the Audiobyte HZ also may be transparent for those formats when supported over USB.

Wow! DSD256/512, that’s future proof. I guess you will need a Rockna DAC sooner or later.

There are no firmware updates for the Hydra Z at the moment. Not sure anymore if there were firmware downloads possible when I owned a Hydra (one year ago).

I have a Gustard U12 here but it is not a competitor to the Hydra. Besides it is not fully compatible via I2S (by default). More interesting maybe this Singxer SU-1

Holzohr said
Frode said

Wow! DSD256/512, that’s future proof. I guess you will need a Rockna DAC sooner or later.

There are no firmware updates for the Hydra Z at the moment. Not sure anymore if there were firmware downloads possible when I owned a Hydra (one year ago).

The Rockna DAC portfolio is currently being upgraded with this in mind :)

The way to upgrade the HZ is to play a short wav file through it, containing the firmware upgrade. The PCM and DSD LED flashes alternately and then goes static when finished. I have done it and it is pretty elegant. I have v.104 from December-14.

Indeed the upgrade procedure is very elegant and the same for the Black Dragon. I mean when I think back updating my NPC… 65_gif