My "Stellar" Phono Preamp experience and some NPC repair tidbits

Although not the same brand as mine, that looks like a decent one and is half the price I paid back in the day.

Itā€™s an artform unto itself. Something PSA seems to have as a low priority as of late. For instance the MK2 remote is terrible and the interface on the unit isnā€™t great either.

4 Likes

I agree. It was SoundSmith The Voice. I can use MM input w 47k load. I was lucky.

1 Like

When and if I do get a remote I am going to punch the numbers into an old learning remote that Iā€™ve got ā€œjust in caseā€. Toothless one-leg dog. Sounds like a girl I used to date.

2 Likes

I got to the point of asking for a home demo of one of these. Given my ability to lose remotes, Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t go any further.

I presume someone somewhere will soon have a SGCD with a remote control that doesnā€™t work.

LOL. Yep, someoneā€™s got my remote for sure. But in case anyone who has an SGCD and the remote goes ā€œTango Uniformā€, Iā€™ve got one that Boulder said I could keep and put on the mantel and you are welcome to it.

1 Like

Are this things still made with IR sensors? Donā€™t think Iā€™ve had one of those for at least 7 or 8 years. On the unit I got I donā€™t get a remote, or a power button, or anything to look at except a little light to tell me itā€™s on.

Isnā€™t the remote for the MK2 the same as for the MK1? Or did I miss something? I like having one remote that controls several pieces of PSA gear, even if the buttons are a little small.

1 Like

It is the same remote, but you canā€™t use it to do quite a bit of the functions available. Itā€™s a multipurpose remote with little purpose.

1 Like

I still use the slim black remote that I think came originally with the PWD Mk2 and maybe the OG DSD. It controls the functions I prefer to use for the PWT, the DSD MK2 and the P15. One day Iā€™ll try to get one more.

True, you canā€™t control some of the functions. But those are things I wonā€™t change very often once I get the unit set up. So I prefer the convenience of one remote that handles my everyday needs for three pieces of equipment.

2 Likes

It certainly isnā€™t my company, but if it was my company, I would overnight the correct remote to you, (even though the cost of doing so might take the company down)ā€“I would think itā€™s the right thing to do.

4 Likes

Setup was really my point. How many times are you going to get up from your sweet spot while lifting grounds and shells or turning on/off inputs?

To each their own. As long as you are happy, thatā€™s all that matters.

2 Likes

On Friday they promised to overnight it to me Saturday delivery. Radio silence.

Agreed. The problem is I canā€™t to the ā€œset and forget itā€ phase. Currently a $1999 boat anchor.

1 Like

I feel like Raphie Parker on ā€œA Christmas Storyā€ when his dad pointed to one remaining gift in the corner of a room for Ralph to go get. In Ralphā€™s ace it was an ā€œofficial Red Ryder carbine action, 200-shot, range model air rifle with a compass in the stock and this thing that tells time.ā€

In my case it is the correct remote for my Stellar Phono Preamp. Thanks everybody and, as we all know, good things come to those who wait.

1 Like

So, was the bitching and name-calling worth it, or needed?

1 Like

I will let you determine that for yourself. I, for one, am happy with the outcome.

1 Like

Me too.

1 Like

Glad the remote got to you this morning. Sorry for the early disappointment with the new piece but I promise youā€™ll be pleased once it settles in the system and you start spinning some records.

4 Likes