My "Stellar" Phono Preamp experience and some NPC repair tidbits

Funny, the same thing happened to me two years ago (I was sent the wrong remote). PS Audio overnighted the proper remote and it arrived the next morning.

2 Likes

PS Audio did the right thing by me too. And they restored my Nuwave back to health as well.

3 Likes

Iā€™m hoping they can restore my NuWave Phono Converter. . . they just got it.

What is up with yours? Mine was a display-related issue where the display would act up or not turn on at all with the USB cable connected to a computer. All other functions were normal.

Mine was far worse. It would not power up. I could leave it plugged in and turned on and it would boot up three days or so later. . .for about ten minutes. . . then go dead again for four days. . . boot up for about thirty seconds. . . then go dead again. . . .

They warned me they may not have the parts to fix it. I hope they do. I bought another one, but itā€™s clear a spare would be a nice thing to have.

Good luck with the fix. Keep us posted.

1 Like

Finally all the teeth and 4 working legs! Like my friendā€™s grampa told him for years (in the best old grampa voice)ā€¦ā€œNever put your face in the face of a hound!!!ā€. I hope it sounds the way you are expecting it to. I like mine, I got it like right at first round of shipping and not thinking of changing yet.

Clarity, your Grampa and I would probably get on like two fleas on that houndā€™s back.

Any guesstimates on how long a burnin is recommended? I am liking it much right out of the box.

Yikes. I just picked up a Schiit Mani 2 to try out versus my NuWave since I donā€™t use any of the digital functionality and the Mani has a rumble filter. We shall see what I decide to do with my NuWave.

That said, if my hearing doesnā€™t come back soon Iā€™m gonna be divesting in all my hifi gear.

$129 Apple TV comes with a proper metal remote every time. We pay > $2,000 and get a plastic one. But I love the PSA gear anyway.

I hope you recover quickly.

2 Likes

Yeah, but Apple manufacture in interesting places with the air of dubious labor arrangements. And theyā€™re MASSIVE. Thereā€™s a difference.

1 Like

Congratulations on your new Stellar Phono Pre. From memory, it took about a fortnight after which improvements to sound quality were minimal.

1 Like

Best wishes for a quick recovery!

Yesā€“hereā€™s hoping hearing hastily returns to normal.

1 Like

Good deal.

Sorry to learn about your hearing. What happened and/or what are the symptoms are you experiencing?

As an aside, I remember a time in the not too distant past when I went to sleep for a couple of hours while wearing a pair of headphones at a volume level that was not uncomfortable or, IMHO, too loud. When I woke up, the left channel of the headphones was dead. Wrong, it turned out that my left ear had actually shut down. Over the course of the next couple of days the hearing in my left hear had not returned to normal. I scheduled an appointment with an audiologist and saw her two days later. By that time my hearing was back to normal and the audiologist couldnā€™t find anything really wrong except the typical high frequency roll-off that old people like me experience. I am not blaming the headphones for causing it but the doctor and I were never really sure what had happened.

Again, I hope your hearing returns to normal sooner rather than later.

Thanks. I had a bad cold and had sinus involvement. The cold went away but my sinuses wrt my ears have yet to drain. Hoping to see an ENT but no approval yet.

2 Likes

Eventually the bio-engineers will develop an implant connected directly to the brain via a USB or wireless connection that will eliminate the need to acquire very expensive electronic equipment, cables, and speaker systems, etc. That is if the audiophile industry would even allow that to be developed.

Until then, I need to save up for my next set of $350 fuses.

2 Likes

How are you liking the Stellar amp compared to the NPC? I like the wide, open soundstage the NPC gives me in my setup.