My View: Multiwave implemented in wrong way, peak not RMS ought to be maintained

I am not a gambler but when the rms voltage stays the same I can’t see how a very small change in peak voltage would make a significant difference in the rectified filter DC on the output of the power supply.

The difference between 270 and 300 watts if really does exist is inaudible anyway.

As its DC a multimeter would typically give a quite fair picture, can be an idea to check with an oscilloscope that there is not too much ripple that could affect measurement, but ought to not be a problem.

st50maint found the B+ point on his tube amplifier. thats good. So far I only measured on the rectifier filtering caps, but been looking at the circuit schematics of my amplifier, and should give a good approximation of how internal voltages move.

One had better be extremely careful when measuring dangerously high voltages like those. They can be lethal. I have never nor would I ever own an amp with tube output stages. Whether they are OTL or transformer coupled the don’t have good damping factors. Amps like the BHK 250 AND 300 with Mosfet Outputs run rail voltages that are much safer. I bet on these amps you will be hard pressed to measure any voltage change multi wave on or off.

Jesus, if it sounds good- use it. If I spent so much time worrying about theory, I wouldn’t spend as much time listening. Follow your ears, man Spend money if your ears say yes. Otherwise stop wasting our time. I’ve got a limited time on this planet and a lot of songs to listen to

6 Likes

I like to listen to music, and even more so music reproduced in high quality. I also like to understand how things work out. And if that can help to increase the music reproduction quality even better. So rather than do random tweaks and test equipment and spend money, understanding how things works out actually have saved me lots of time (and I enjoyed doing it).

And seems quite some people reading this thread now also have a better understanding how peak voltage, shape of waveform, RMS voltage and DC converted voltage interact.

You are of course free to choose how you use your time.

3 Likes