Name Change for BHK 250?

Is there really any evidence of this though? A higher line, I mean. Just because they changed the cable recommendations for BHK stuff to now be called Perfectwave (as well as rebadging BHK to Perfectwave per subject of this thread), and left the Paul’s Reference cable category in the other thread to correspond to what is in their Reference Listening room at the factory, why would that indicate that a higher-end line is coming?

I’m not saying that it’s not, I just wonder if there’s any evidence or reason to think so. Paul mentioned a BHK level two-chassis phono pre in one thread, targeted for $20k, but since the context was “BHK level,” I’d think that would go into the Perfectwave bucket (just a guess).

Has it been suggested that amps and preamps at higher performance level than current BHK are coming?

Maybe the insiders will tell us …

I mean obviously there’s no official news. This is all just speculation. There are some higher priced items on the release list though that definitely puts them in a higher tier. TSS DAC looks to be over 10K as well as a “BHK” level phono at 20K. It’s all fun man! No different than when folks speculate on the new iPhone. :grin:

For sure, fair enough. You follow closer than I do. Yeah I guess a $20k phono pre doesn’t fit with a 6k regular pre probably.

Fun to speculate, agreed

1 Like

Do you know who this was? Do you know if they got everything sorted out with this?

I’d hate to think someone’s out there who didn’t get everything they needed from us.

If you know, that’d be awesome, thanks!

Have a great day, all.

Paul, totally agree with you guys on naming consistency. Guessing most audiophiles will as well. From a Customer perspective adding PerectWave to the front of model names will create some long product names.

Personally, I have 6 major complements from you guys and only 1 says PrefectWave. Specifically a PerfectWave DirectStream DAC which is a mouthful of a name. Just DirectStream DAC would be more streamline and a better match the DirectStream Memory Player and DirectStream Power Plant 20 I also have. The BHK Siganature Preamp and Signature 300 Amplifiers are all well matched name wise.

Just a suggestion, maybe there is a new, shorter name out there for what people speculate might be your new middle level lineup. Something short, for example Stellar, would be good.

I remember 5 years ago, when opening the box to my new DAC, thinking why did they name it such a long name and why did they combined PerfectWave and DirectStream technology naming which is kind of confusing.

I don’t think they did, not that I saw on here anyway, and they weren’t too happy. So it’s in the forum somewhere (google may be better at finding it than the forums’ own search function of course).

Aw, man. Well, I’m just hoping they did or they contact us soon. We’d be happy to take care of that.

Thank you so much for letting me know!!

1 Like

To be perfectly honest, I am in favor of getting rid of all the category names like Stellar, and PerfectWave. That’s one of my long term goals that would take a pretty big overhaul to accomplish, but once done, it would sure make life easier and simpler.

3 Likes

Makes sense Paul! Hopefully, you guys can retain fun product names and don’t go German car model simple.

Just for fun (and Corona home-stay) I quickly plotted the PS Audio product categories and branding onto a page. I see the logic. Also seems work in process. This is all totally not my business but thought I’d share for fun.

4 Likes

That is an awesome summery schedule. It is certainly impressive for a company yhte size of PS Audio and shows their drive for Sound Quality and innovation.

Paul classified these series in his Video’s and Podcasts as:

• Entry level series: Sprout
  • Budget series: Stellar
  • Money no object series: Obsidian/Direct Stream/Perfect Wave/BHK Signature Series further referred to as Top Series.

The schedule shows PS Audio’s grand plan, but there are certain issues that are rather confusing. Here are some observations of inconsistencies:

1. The Series identifier for the top series is not consistent.
  2. Some series do not contain the products functionality other series provide:
  • Phono Pre Stage: Available in the Sprout and Stellar Series, not in the Top Series
  • Octave Streamer, Music and Streaming Service: Available in the money no object Top Series only! This is weird. Because how can Octave Music attract artists if they offer their music to only a very happy few for which money is no object and who happen to own the one and only Octave compatible PS Audio Top Series streamer.
  • Is the speaker development project for the Sprout Series dropped? Funny thin is, the first PS Audio Speaker prototypes Paul showed in his Videos were neat 2 way bookshelf speakers. Not the AN3 (now FR30).
  1. No I2S HDMI source at all for the Stellar Gain Cell and Direct Stream DAC, which again according to Paul’s Video’s and ratings on the Product Datasheets or in the manuals would perform best utilising the I2S inputs. Only very few third party brands offer sources with compatible I2S HDMI outputs.
    This while the I2S HDMI Interface was advertised as the best digital interface until Oppo dropped out and PS Audio lost their only source of supply for the Direct Stream Mediaplayer.
  2. And here we go: Pricing:
    The latest releases in the Stellar series come all with major increases in MRSP (Manufacturer Recommended Sales Prices). The Stellar Series started a well below US$ 2000 for the SGCD, S300 and M700. Which, albeit being higher than most main stream brands, seemed to be the budget PS Audio was targeting for. But the US$ 2000 benchmark was crossed first by the SP3, followed by the Phono Pre Amp, M1200 and Strata in price increasing order with the Strata ending up at US$ 3200 or a whopping EUR 4000 overseas. OK it’s a budget too, but whether it is the budget new customers of PS Audio bought into when they spent their hard earned savings on the first Stellar products at that time, for me certainly not.
    Also the pair of M1200 have price wise ended up in the Top (according to Paul, money no object) Series.

I realise that it is too late to change the product prices, but I hope that this feedback will be considered in the future strategy of product releases, product naming and marketing.

LOL Although considering the picture you uploaded for your profile, you do seem to like German cars.
Schermafbeelding 2020-04-28 om 18.31.44
Simple often means higher reliability.

Edit- intended as a reply to the brilliant visual representation of the product range above.

I’ve seen a lot of talk of the stellar phono pre as the “mid range” and wouldn’t a BHK phono be great.
I wonder what Darren’s and BHK’s thoughts on the matter are.
By the reviews, both here and elsewhere, the stellar phono is way way above it’s price range in terms of quality, which is a hell of an achievement, and it occurs to me that might be the only phono PSA need.

If I were Darren I might be very slightly miffed at a collective attitude of “nice job, sounds wonderful,but we’d still rather have one with the BHK name on.”
Nothing against the fabulously talented Mr BHK of course!
Disclaimer, I don’t have the phono, and can’t afford it, and I might also be talking rubbish, it’s been a long day, so feel free to tell me to shut up (on this subject only, preferably!), I just wanted to put this thought out there as it’s been bugging me for a few weeks :slight_smile:

Not rubbish at all and I think a very valid point.

One of Darren’s next projects actually is a new phono stage in the “PerfectWave” line. Obviously a new phono stage above the Stellar will have a lot to stand up to, but from what Darren has told me, he’ll be able to get her done.

1 Like

PS Audio sold 2 BHK300’s to my (then) authorized dealer & made their profit; the dealer sold them (new) to me and made his profit & I paid substantially less than MSRP. Now that the middle man is gone, PS Audio certainly has room to work regarding what you have to pay, and based by my experience talking directly with them about other products, they will. Ask.

P.S. not sure about the AudioQuest offerings. They may have had to agree not to undersell other dealers.

1 Like

Patrick (@Famavolat),

Thank for pointing out that with PS Audio sales prices can drop temporarily. And that is very much depending on where you live.
But you are correct. I should have mentioned MRSP (Manufacturer Recommended Sales Price) not Sales Price.
As the schedule is about strategy, temporary sales prices are not subject to that discussion, I will correct that in my post above.

Regarding Sales Price vs. MRSP:
Equipment on which a sales chain or manufacturer can drop the sales price far below the MRSP is very suspicious. The Stellar Gain Cell DAC’s MRSP was listed EUR 2055 (~US$ 2300), my dealer offered it to me for EUR 1800 (~US$ 2000). A fair deal for in Europe at that time, yet I knew it the price for which I bought it was US$ 300 the MRSP in the US at last year. But I decided not to bargain, a dealer needs to pay his costs too.

Although the Stellar Gain Cell DAC is still not being phased out, reading about a lot of people that were able to buy it in the US for half price or seeing sudden price drops/offerings at 50% to 60% of US MRSP indeed gives customer that trust PS Audio and their dealers by paying them a very fair price the bad feeling of being rather stupid and ripped off.

I do not think that giving well paying customers a bad feeling is a wise sales strategy.
We are not talking about mass production clothing that is subjected to extreme short life cycles due to fashion ever changing fashion. It is high cost audio equipment, purchased with the intent to function well for years to come.

I prefer a more fair MRSP and that I can trust that what I paid is worth the money. I believe that PS Audio has already taken good steps to get this better under control, so I expected MRSP for he Stellar to drop.

Perhaps the designer did not get the message that the Stellar was promised to be a budget series, or PS Audio completely changed the advertised strategy, but instead of lower more fair MRSP on the Stellar Series the MRSP of new products in the Stellar Series have more than doubled within a year.

Not criticizing your good work, just sharing my experience. What someone (or a company) can, wants & is willing to do at any given time, are often 3 different things… No penalty for asking.

1 Like

I did not take it as a criticism, you were simply stating facts and I do like your contributions to the forum any way. No hard feelings.

1 Like

Has anyone else had problems with fading of the “PS Audio” name and of the insignia on the on switch?
Can anything be done to restore this. It make my pre-amp and DSD look old.

It would be nice if we could get transfers to replace the white logo that wears off of the front panel switches.