New BHK pre-amp...wow

Sorry, when you said amp, I thought you meant, amp.

The hiss I get, is not volume dependent.

No I just meant the preamp. If that is what is the main source of hiss I think it might be worth trying some alternatives to see if you like them better. I love the sound of the BHK pre but it does (like most tube preamps/integrated amps/headphone amps I have heard) produce some hiss. I can’t remember the last solid state amp that I heard that produced hiss to the same degree but then I don’t think I’ve ever come across a solid state amp that produces the same fluidity of sound (best way I can describe it) as a good tube amp.

OK. Then mine makes no noise at all. With nothing playing you can put your ear to the speaker and it is just quiet.

kylemillsap, please click on Reply in the bottom right of the post to which you are responding instead of quoting entire posts.

The hiss I get, is not volume dependent.

That’s unusual. The hiss I am talking about is volume dependent. It may actually be some kind of fault or interference if the volume does not affect it.

Yeah, I put some whirlwind 10dB attenuators on last night, got rid of the hiss, but makes me think SQ has changed.

I think you should maybe get it checked out by PSAudio especially since it is not volume dependent. That suggests to me that something is wrong with it. Might also be worth seeing if you can hear it if you plug in headphones.

I’ll try headphones, and maybe send it in. Thanks drarifakhtar!

10-4, roger wilco!

Thanks!!

I’ve got Maggie 3.7i’s coming soon!

With my speakers at 93 DB and 300 watts from the mono block. I don’t listen to music above 80 db to preserve my hearing. So my point is my monos are running such little watts, I understand headroom, but I must have 90% of the amp left for headroom! I’d be happy to give some of that up for less noise at lower volume. Example at the volume on the BHK preamp reading 1. It’s not even low enough volume to say use in a library setting. When I used the PSB Imagine T3 speakers I had way less noise, and better volume control. Also still plenty of dynamics and headroom to spare. I see a few speakers out there like at 102 DB! Wow. Those must require solid state stuff only.

Again, this is my option, and my likes, what I want from a system. Others may not, and that’s totally cool.

If I am playing music on Sunday morning before anybody else is up I kick in the 20db attenuation on the DSJr to get the volume low enough. Then I can run the BHK preamp at 10 or so.
I think headroom is probably a little overrated but it is supposed to be able to supply large power requirements that last a fraction of a second for music transients that need it.
I am never opposed to having a bunch of power waiting to get used. It doesn’t cost anything for it to be ready and waiting.

D - you’re gonna need all that power for those Maggies!

Gary_M, With just 10 hours in on the BHKpre, i had a chance to listen to Bjork’s Opera, Vespertine on Qobuz 24/48 this morning with my wife lying on the sofa, both of us had goosebumps, and I haven’t felt that from a piece of music in awhile. Coen’s Hallelujah can do that, but this was all BHK Preamp. It’s a special piece of gear, and what a beautiful finish. In my chain I’d say the addition of the BHKpre on SQ is almost equal to the addition of the DirectStream. Or perhaps it’s the synergy between the two?

And who doesn’t love everyone’s favorite Icelander? Sugarcubes anyone?

The BHK pre and DS DAC are really something in my system too.

You guys are Killing me here, and making it exceedingly harder to resist taking the plunge, and buying the BHK preamp sooner than later. I have a policy though, where I only use secondary means of funds to pay for new toys. As soon as I sell one more piece of used audio gear, this pre will be mine, unless I have a moment of weakness. Must resist.

I failed to resist over a year ago and have enjoyed every minute of it. I put a few hundred hours on a set of tubes then try something a little different.

Like Ted’s DS, every release is a little different and only better for me.