New DSD Sr DAC In The House - September 2019

After 1000 hrs it will sound like should?

Took me 46 days 24 7

Some think the DS shows something special right out of the box, but almost everyone hears noticable changes for a few hundred hours. Past some number, say 500 hours, people’s normal daily hearing changes, or the changes caused by better power in the evenings are probably bigger than any further changes in the DS.

2 Likes

I don’t believe we ship DACs with SD cards included though I could be wrong. Maybe we should.

My DSD Sr came with a SD card although it also came with the Network Bridge II pre-installed so maybe that had something to do with it?

Paul:

The owner’s manual included with the unit indicated the DSD Sr would be enclosed in a cloth lint free bag. It was wrapped in plastic. It also indicated an SD card was included. That’s why I was asking.

No problem.

Mine was also wrapped in plastic - I really liked the packaging TBH.

Yup, thought the packaging was pretty good, and a different way (+) to do it in my experience.

I think the manual wording meant that a lint free cloth (and gloves) would be enclosed in the package with the DAC not enclosing the DAC.
Did you check to see if the SD card was in the slot on the back of the machine? It might be in the bag with the gloves too. My Sr did come with an SD card. I will also say that their packaging is first rate. The unit is fully suspended inside the box. I have 8 pieces of PSA gear and all have arrived in perfect condition and have performed flawlessly ever since.

My SD card was in the little baggy with the gloves. No styrofoam secure packaging is always a A+ for me.

After 46 days I’ll be thoroughly converted…:slight_smile: Looking forward to it though.

The wording in the quick start guide section of the owner’s reference says “Your new DirectStream comes wrapped in a soft organic cotton bag to protect its beautiful finish.”

Regardless if the bag was there or not, the packaging was very smart. Love the suspension technique. It did the job of protecting the dac.

1 Like

I could be wrong but i believe that although the outputed device does not have to be on, the DSD outputs should be plugged in to something while burning in. I hooked mine up to a pre that was off.

If anybody knows for sure, chime in

TD

You are correct.

Attenuator should be on…vol 106…pre can be off

I too love the effect of the preamp in the chain… More texture to instruments.

I am pretty sure I received a card

You are correct, Page 2 of the reference guide states the unit comes "wrapped in a soft organic cotton bag to protect its beautiful finish. Mine came in a sturdy but snug plastic bag. No biggie, but the soft organic cotton bag would have been classier. Now on to the show, how the unit is improving with time and any attempts made to enhance its performance. I’ve yet not had a chance to get it set up properly, so no meaningful comments yet.

I heard the 1st track of Ulrich Drechler Quartet featuring Tord Gustavsen. Album “Humans and Places”. It is sublime coming through the dac. The recording is very good as well.

I have a few for you. The first two are Jazz although modern, BUT the sound is amazing:

Natash Agrama (the two records on Tidal) , and Esperanza Spalding Chamber Music Society.

For classical: Giuliano Carmignola Concerto Italiano.

Classical acoustic guitar: Aylelsford pieces at guitar HWV 475

Peter Gabiel New Blood, the instrumentals starting at track 15

1 Like

Huge Tord Gustavsen fan here, it’s now on my WantList. Now you’ve got me motivated, as I relocated my DAC but have yet to hook it up. I am spending way too much time on this Forum!

1 Like