New DSD Sr DAC In The House - September 2019

Exactly. All Bridge installs come with an SDS card.

I tried a PM to Paul, but he may have missed it. Included with my DSD DAC Sr. is a thank-you memo from the PS Audio Team. The memo advises the new owner to confirm all items listed are included. The second item on the ā€œInside the Boxā€ list is SD Card (Part # 39-301001). The memo goes on to say if there are any questions, problems, or missing items listed above to contact PS Audio. I does not provide for an exclusion for the SD card should the DSD not include a Bridge II card. This should clarify things. I contacted Jake who should be sending a card along. My atempt to contact Paul was more of an alternate as PS Audioā€™s Service department was not open.

Listening to that nowā€¦GREAT record. Thanks

1 Like

Paul doesnā€™t do PMs. He does respond to emails, though.

I donā€™t look at PMs. Sorry. Easiest is email me directly
paul@psaudio.com

My DSD Sr has been on continuous play now for approximately 24 hours. Right out of the box it had a Kellogs Rice Crispies sound to it, Snap, Crackle, Pop!. After an hour of play it settled down to more of a creamy texture to the sound. To a degree it seems to be imposing a sound of its own on the music. It will need some serious break-in time from what I am hearing. In general I am quite impressed and am enjoying the ride while it breaks in. I have it plugged into a system I use at my summer home. It is somewhat dated but sounds great top to bottom. Maybe not the most resolving, in a good way. The DSD Sr is replacing a W4S DAC-1-LE.

System Components:
PS Audio DSD Sr DAC
MAC Mini as streamer/server BitPerfect (headless)
Coda FET 02B Preamp
Forte 6A/4A/3A amplifier (in rotation)
Gradient Revolution Speakers (New woofers in 2017)
Mitsubishi DA-F20 FM Tuner
OPPO 103D CD/DVD/Blu-Ray
Discovery Signature Speaker Cable Double run Bi-wire
Audio Sensibility Statement SE Silver XLR DAC to Pre-amp
Straight Wire Maestro RCA Interconnect Pre-amp to Amplifier
Belkin Gold USB cable Server to DAC

As we are in a semi remote area internet service has been unacceptable (2-4MBPS weather dependent) until a recent addition of fixed wireless (46MBPS). I can now justify streaming! Currently on Spotify, my CD library is greater than 3500 titles. Vinyl is 10,000 titles more or less. I am considering transitioning to Tidal or Qobuz next spring. I mainly use streaming to evaluate new additions prior to acquiring them. I am happy with Spotify at the moment basically for the size of the library.
Still miss my Analog System at homeā€¦

2 Likes

Well the DSD DAC has a week of burn in on it, more or less 168 hours of continuous play, plus an additional 24 hours idling unloaded. My initial impressions are some what mixed at this point. Understand more time is needed to break the unit in. It has opened up considerably, with the presence region slightly less forward than on my initial listening. At this point the one thing that stands out is a certain graininess throught from the midrange to the lower treble. Female vocals have a grit riding on top of them, there is that and a slight compression on female vocal crescendos. Small cymbals, tambourine, and snares have an unnatural sound to them. Piano has an unnatural breathiness to it, as if the noise floor is rising and falling with each chord. Based on others review of the break in this is rather normal. Looking forward to the next 175 hours of burn in. Music used to evaluate the burn in at this point has been Anouar Brahem - Le Voyage de Sahar, Calamus - The Splendor of Al-Andalus, Keith Jarrett Trio - Changeless, Mickey Hart - Dafos.

Curious as to what your benchmark is (previous DAC)ā€¦and whether you have made any other potentially relevant changes to your kitā€¦

B/C I donā€™t have similar experience with my impression of these attributes with any ā€œversionā€ of the Sr.

I hope things improve greatly for you.

FWIW, cheers.

My experience was that there was no astounding change in sound quality increase until about the 450 hour markā€¦ Be patientā€¦it will come. The 750 hour mark was a revelation. :grin:

No recent changes to my system. It replaced a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-1- LE. Clearly the DSD is a move up. My reference system is analog based, but in a different location. I also have a Metrum Onyx, fully broken in and at this point I prefer its rendition of the music. The Metrum Onyx is a R2R NOS ladder DAC. For serious digital listening I sessions I play Redbook CDs or Redbook ripped to a Mac Mini Server. I stream to sample music I am curious about, and purchase those I enjoy typically on CD. I would expect the DSD to surpass the Metrum, it is just a matter of working through the break-in process. I can only report what I hear, YMMV.

That is my understanding as well. My intent of the thread is to report the journey.
Once it settles in Iā€™ll most likely attempt to optimize the Server/streamer and interfacing cable. The goal would be to keep the interface simple, i.e no multiple boxes, filters, power supplies, wall warts, etc.

Iā€™d also like to encourage others who recently acquired a DSD DAC to share their experiences as well so that we may learn collectively.

I got an SD card with my DSD.

Mine did not include one even though the Welcome to PS Audio Thank-you note in the box indicated one was to be included. Purchased a SanDisk Ultra SDHC 10 32 Gb card from Amazon for $6. Just hope it is compatible.

Iā€™ll share mine with you if it is not compatible.

1 Like

What SW are you running with your dac? Snowmass 3.06 or what was installed,have you checked ?

But in any case it takes long burning in time to show itĀ“s best.

Thanks for the offer Sohail.

Indeedā€¦

Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

I am looking for a DAC for my office system. I am going to look up the Metrum Onyx based on your comments.

Regards.

It is a new unit with Snowmass 3.06 installed. My thought is it is part of the burn-in process.

Around the 300 hour mark I hit a ā€œbass humpā€ where I was sure the DS sound signature was really thick and out of control. It really changes in peculiar waves.

The graininess of the midrange I found was not so much inadequate burn-in, but the quality of digital source and cable. The DS seems to be extremely sensitive to any noise on the USB line. I started with just a laptop, Audirvana and Shunyata Venom USB, and since then Iā€™ve added an iFi iPurifier 3 into the Matrix X-SPDIF2 with Uptone LPS 1.2 power supply converting USB to I2S, and using Wireworld Starlight 7 Silver USB and HDMI cables. Iā€™m not even using a dedicated high quality server, and the whole system sounds completely different.

1 Like

Mine came with two.