New P20 ..... more details please?

The above comments of the owner’s of P20’s that are shutting down… are NOT confidence inspiring for us potential buyers of a $10,000 piece of gear! I can only wonder how many other owners of the new P20’s have had similar experiences, that are not reading or posting on this forum? Can any other P20 owner’s chime in? Based on the horrible software implementation of the “universal player”- DMP, and the fact that the priority of “fixing” it’s extremely buggy OS has seemed to be a non-priority , at least based on it’s release, I have most assuredly shelved my want/need for a P-20 indefinitely. I say this as an owner of “5 shelves” worth of top of the line PSA gear, but also as a frustrated early adopter of the DMP, when it was advertised to play ALL formats.

1 Like

It is certainly possible others are having issues, but one report is not enough to cause me to have any concern. The above report of a problem appears to me to indicate there is something wrong with the unit.

Elk, I read not 1 report, but two very similar comments: first one by hiendmmoe, second one from amp_guy79.

I’m sorry, I may have missed one.

My impression is unchanged given the amplification of problems on public forums. Of course, if the negative reports start rolling in there may well be a problem.

Hi all, I got my p20 four weeks ago, it performs perfectly on SQ, but I also encountered two issues during the past four weeks.

1st issue: 1 time p20 had no response to the remote or monitor touching. Only shut P20 down and restart it solved the freeze issue. I am sorry I don’t remember the actual process or condition per it happened.

2nd issue(I am not sure if I should call it an issue): when I plug P10, Powerbase or Dectet into P20, the THD of P20 will suddenly increase to 6~7% and big humming occurs~ for sure if I just plug DAC/AMP/LPS, no issue, seems unit with filter might have some conflict with P20(?)

Just give a feed back for possible fine tuning. I love P20, it brings me a very very big pleasure as I upgraded from P10. P20, only the name follows P5/P10, definitely they are at totally different level.

Any new product’s going to have a few wrinkles. Sop far out of the first hundred or so P20s the actual failure rate’s been extremely low and so far we’ve been able to fix the few bugs with emailed software fixes. No matter how hard we try, we cannot predict exactly what will happen when these get out into the real world. I’d say so far they’ve been excellent and I am quite happy with them and their performance.

Also remember that these forums aren’t the tip of an iceberg like some people think. Actually the opposite is true. These are the first places problems show up and the vast majority of users never post nor have any reason to. So, when you see one or two problems it doesn’t mean there are tons more. Quite the opposite, actually.

3 Likes

I replaced two P10 with P20 last evening. The improvement is very shocking. Although I have listened to them in the showroom before and having seen so many positive comments on P20, I fully anticipate the improvement.

In reality, when the things fired up in my system, the sound is so smooth and natural. Dynamic is enhanced as well.

Please don’t let a few teething problems distract the beauty of this masterpiece from Paul.

I have been a long time power plant user, from the very first P300 to P20, I have used almost all models and have seen a few failure and breakdown with them. P20 is by far the best of the best. Paul, you did again. Well done. I am your follower.

1 Like

Thanks, though I think you meant you replaced two P10 with a P20?

Sorry for my poor English. I replaced two P10 with two P20.

Even better…

1 Like

That’s what I figured. No problem and thanks for posting!

FWIW, my unit has been operating flawlessly. I’m shocked how little current my gear (4 poweramps, 3 DACs, Preamp, Server) is actually drawing (800 Watt playing really loud) and not even close to shutting down. It replaced 2x P10. I can’t really objectively comment on the improvement in SQ, because I am right in the middle of reconfiguring my entire system and have so many moving parts (including new speakers I was not yet fully familiar with) I can’t really pinpoint the impact of any individual system change. All I can say things are sounding brilliantly, I consolidated from 2 units to one, and am very happy with the P20.

Nice!

I keep managing to make the p20 go into protection mode each time i have my equipment turned on at once. What is mind blogging is that my 15i furman unit sustains everything and never shuts down which is saying that my outlet has sufficient current for everything that’s connected to it… it’s painful so far to know I must keep my amps connected to the wall rather than this. For now, I don’t see any new softwares in the download section here and so the unit is more of a nuisance than anything. Hope that you guys can someday have a software that allows the user to see exactly how much current is being demanded from the wall but with actual numbers and not a needle. If I was able to see on the display that I indeed overloaded it by looking at some figure of some sort as it happens then I’d be ok but knowing how much current was demanded from it that made it overload is what my pain is. Using the furman is what tells me it’s not me overloading the p20.

Have you decreased the output voltage as suggested?

Have you been working with PS Audio? Have you worked with them to look at your p20 in Power Play?

What does PS Audio advise?

You have mentioned a number of times you would like to know with more detail the power you are using. I suggest one of these inexpensive devices:

https://www.amazon.com/P3-International-P4460-Electricity-Monitor/dp/B000RGF29Q/ref=dp_ob_title_hi

You are talking about in-rush current, right?

The Furman is a passive device, P20 is not…that the Furman doesn’t shut down with your in-rush load is no measure that the P20 shouldn’t.

The only reason this might happen is one of the pieces of gear you have should probably be placed in the high current outlets of the P20 and they are not. Can you describe what’s plugged in where?

1 Like

Paul in regards to the firmware upgrade for the p20 is there any sq improvement.

Nope. Just a few bugs in the display.

Paul, I have a P10 and was looking to get a new unit. Would a P15 perform the same as a P20 if a P10 is at 56% most of the time? Just wondering if a P15 is enough or if a P20 is just worth the extra investment? And if so, will I hear a difference?