New PS Audio speakers?

This thought popped into my head while following the thread on system photos. It seems that a LOT of audiophiles have gravitated towards subwoofer/satellite setups due to space and room considerations.

I realize that the design train for the AN speakers has already left the station, but I can’t help wondering if it would make sense to offer a configuration featuring separate subwoofers. After all, the IRS-V’s do that - although on a grand scale.

The thought is to configure the tweeter and midrange drivers along with the midbass coupler as a quasi line source in a svelte panel array, say 48" or so high and 16-18" wide and then have separate servo sub cabinets with DRC.
The Muraudio speakers come to mind as a general form factor:

Don’t know if this would offer cost savings, but after reading the post about the AN-3 coming in at 200 lbs and looking gorgeous, I have to believe that the cabinet constitutes a significant, if not huge, proportion of total cost. Nonetheless, the separates configuration would allow optimal placement of the subs in our less-than-optimal rooms.

An issue for me, personally, is that my listening room is in the basement - down a set of stairs and with a tight 90 degree turn through a doorway at the bottom. Sadly, I don’t think I’d be able to maneuver a set of even the AN3’s into my space.

My thoughts about room constraints ( I am in the basement too ) and the AN3 projected weight is a
concern of mine as well. If I hear them at Axpona and they walk on water I might have to enlist a team
to get them installed. Pain with gain. Satellites with subs are still a great way to go and more easily
conform to less than ideal rooms. I am glad to see there is DSP control of the woofers on the AN3
which should help. Total digital tailoring ala Anthem’s room control is now featured on some
speakers but I haven’t tried it.

Excellent thought, maybe it would work for the Stellar Series. It could be a step up from the soon to be release model.
Chas

It is an intriguing and very interesting idea. Maybe after we launch (it’s hard enough getting one model out the door) we can think about something like that.

Hthaler I recently heard the new smaller muraudio you mentioned. It was quite real sounding but not always in the bass.

Sorry to ask again, I guess you were on holiday when I first asked on the thread

Hello Paul, has a decisioni been Made on the LFE input? Do yo have the Final mocks for the AN-2? and last but not least, Will the amplifier have a 110/230 switch or will you have separate models for the European market? (actually are you planning on having an European model at all?).
Apologies, lots of questions…
Greetings, Renato.

1 Like

Thanks. No dealers nearby, so I appreciate your comments. I’ll have to wait until I can hear them at a show.

Your conclusion makes perfect sense given the 45 Hz or so low frequency cut-off. They wold definitely need a pair of good subs.

Thinking of going to the RMAF this year. I’m hoping one of the AN series will be there for listening even if it’s only a prototype!

One of the two dealers I use have Fenestria on permanent display, they are only 2 miles from the PMC factory where they are made and are their main dealer. They are meant to be fantastic. They were the most talked about new product at Munich last year. Only 45 minutes away but have not got around to popping up for a listen. £45,000. Loose change I suppose.

The elbephilharmonie. I tried to book some tickets about 6 months ago. I have no idea how you are meant to get them. Their site crashed for the day and the phone was constantly engaged. The nice thing about Hamburg is you can stay in Denmark.

1 Like

Prototypes expected at Axpona, finished speakers expected at RMAF.

3 Likes

Paul, so we can assume the AN3 is first? Shipping orders around Thanksgiving 2019?

Hey Renato. Not planning on an LFE as that would complicate the DSP and integration of the 4-way system architecture. The internal subs will certainly be usable on both voltages - but how we mechanize that is as of yet undecided. They will definitely work around
the world.

2 Likes

Will each AN3 require two connectors, one RCA or XLR and one power cable?

The speakers aren’t active. The bass amp will require power. The speakers will connect to primary amps with speaker cable.

Paul, I hope to goodness I’m not being a pest by asking this, but are there any updates on the AN3? First listening impressions if they have gotten that far yet? Any new challenges that have come up? I’m really excited to hear them at AXPONA, and, that will also be the first show I’m attending for hi-fi.

Thanks again for all the information and best of luck to you and the team there!

Great question, and you’re right it’s been a hot minute since our last update!

Our Chief Engineer Bob Stadtherr and our Engineering Technician Jordan Kamper have been working on the servo controller and the amp for the active woofer and mid bass coupler. I was talking with them earlier today while they were fitting the woofer and mid bass coupler into the cabinet and running both through their paces.

Jordan has also been measuring the performance on the tweeter and Paul and the team have been doing some prelim work on the crossovers. We’ve also got the DSP module in and waiting to get integrated once Bob and Jordan finish with the servo controller.

So, progress is being made! We don’t have any listening impressions yet, though we’re getting closer to it each day.

Thanks for getting back so quickly and good luck to all of you guys there. I can’t wait to hear it!

1 Like

Yes, thanks Scott!

This is the phase of any design where our sleeves are rolled tightly up our arms and our hands are dirty with design. Already the mounting scheme we used for the servo controlled accelerator failed and the piezo element went flying, nearly destroying
the woofer. Sigh. Then the cabinet is not quite as airtight as we would have hoped so when the woofer gets cranking. As servo woofers do, there’s all these air leaks on the prototypes sighing and wheezing. Jordan’s ready with the silicone goop to plug the
holes.

This whole part of the design process is kind of like the proverbial sausage making. Something people who enjoy eating sausage should avoid watching because apparently it’s quite messy.

Next comes the critical midrange driver. We’re playing around with two types: a 10” planar design and our 10” AMT folded ribbon.

Our goal is to get these working well enough to ship the prototypes off to Axpona so you can hear our progress. They certainly won’t be a finished product but hopefully good enough to give you a taste of what’s to come!

We’ll shoot some pictures for you to see.

1 Like

Pictures!?!:heart_eyes::sunglasses: