No SD card with DS DAC

I read about the Pikes Peak firmware upgrade, and based on the buzz I ordered a DS DAC last week, and it arrived today (Thursday). I was ready to go, but after unboxing it, I found there is no SSD card included. Now I have to order one, and wait a few more days. Other than the DAC itself, an SSD is the second most important part, and to not include one is not very user friendly. On the plus side, I get to listen to 1.2.1 for a few days so I can do my own A/B test.

That may have been a packing error. Did you let PSA know? I don’t know what they ship with DS’s as I got the upgrade kit but I agree they should have included an SD card.

Welcome, Bud!

As Stevem2 nicely notes, there should be an SD Card. Call and PSA will get you one right away.

[edit: I assumed wrong. See, Paul’s post below.]

There is not normally an SD card supplied unless the unit is purchased with a Bridge. We don’t supply SD cards because in normal operation of DS there is no need for such a card.

I have asked the production team to consider putting one in, in the future, but at this very moment we do not normally do so.

I would strongly encourage you to include a card that is known to be compatible. I understand that operationally the card is only needed if a Bridge is installed (for the cover art) but you do need a card for firmware updates and the ability to upgrade the firmware has become a significant selling point. Also some people have had a hard time finding cards that are compatible. I’m personally not sure what cards and formats work. I mostly use 2GB cards, which are getting harder to find, but I’ve also used a 4GB card formatted as FAT16 (in a PC–don’t think Macs can format as or write to FAT16) and it worked but haven’t tried one of the higher capacity format cards that are now the most common. Also not sure if FAT32 works reliably.

I ordered a 4GB from Amazon, and it might be here tomorrow. However, I think I will let the DAC stay on 1.2.1 while it burns-in, and then upgrade. Right now, it is sounding pretty good after playing for a few hours. Of course, my whole two channel system is still warming up, and won’t be near prime for another 5 hours or so. I usually don’t use it during the week to save on electricity, but I decided to work from home today, and take tomorrow off, so I can listen to it all night. smile

I agree that it would be a good idea to include an SSD card. I specifically bought this DAC for the ability to upgrade firmware. It replaced my Auralic Vega, which was very good, but not upgradeable,

Given the problems that some folks have had getting a card that works, and now that the ability to upgrade firmware is becoming a selling point, I agree that including a card would be the best course. Either that or change to a card reader that accepts more sizes and formats.

I just ordered a couple of things from Amazon, and added two different brands of 2GB cards to the order (so as not to pay shipping on the cards if I ordered them by themselves). The card I have now is working OK, but these will be backup units or give me the ability to easily switch from one firmware to another–assuming they work with the DS, that is.

Bud, don’t rush into anything. If this is a brand new DS you’ll need a good hundreds of hours before it is fully burned in - at least that’s the experience of a lot of us here. My recommendation is not to go changing other bits and pieces too quick.

Saw your note about not wanting to burn up electricity, but 1) the DS will always sound better if it is left powered up, and 2) if you leave it powered up and feed it a source it will burn in that much faster in terms of calendar time. During burn in make sure the attenuator is switched in; it helps.

Thanks. Basically, I just keep my Pass X600.5 amps off during the week. Those things eat electricity like it is going away, and in the winter the solar can’t keep up.

[unnecessary quote deleted. Elk]

With the DS at $6,000.00 retail…you would think an sd card would be included with the unit.pulling-hair_gif

Bud said Thanks. Basically, I just keep my Pass X600.5 amps off during the week. Those things eat electricity like it is going away, and in the winter the solar can't keep up.
Concur with those saying to leave the DS on, it only draws 20-25 watts so it should not tax the solar at all. I only turn mine off when I am away for a few days or longer for safety. As for the Pass amps, they just might brown out the neighborhood! Also, take a look at today's Paul's Post, there's a picture of a Pass amp frying an egg!
pmotz said Also, take a look at today's Paul's Post, there's a picture of a Pass amp frying an egg!
Class A amps are versatile. Heating element for cooking, space heater, cat warmer.
mark-d said [unnecessary quote deleted. Elk]

With the DS at $6,000.00 retail…you would think an sd card would be included with the unit.

I’ve paid as much for a digital SLR and Nikon didn’t throw in a CF or SD card either. You can’t use the camera without one. At least the DS will function without a card until time for upgrade.

Looks like I will not need the SD card after all. The DS DAC is broken already. It has been on since yesterday. Tonight I am listening to it and it is low in volume. My first thought is somehow the attenuation switched from High to Low. However, when I tried to turn the display on, it would not turn on. So I turned the DS off, and unplugged it for a few minutes, but when I retried it all I got was a multi-color display of vertical lines. While pretty, that isn’t what I wanted.

So, back it goes on Monday. While I was interested in finding out if Pikes Peak would be better than my current Auralic Vega DAC, I don’t think I will try again. I do like the ability to load new firmware. Perhaps you can offer different versions of fw in the future. For example, a muted version for those who like the sound less edgy, or a detailed version for those who like all the musical detail exposed.