Obsidian DAC

It’s an RCXRC filter. (Where the X is the transformer.) The transformer has a natural 2 pole Bessel roll off at 0.4Hz and 55kHz into 150 Ohms (220kHz into 600 Ohms) The RC filters are set for about 80kHz.

1 Like

I always try to push each source of distortion/noise as far down as I can, but all together. That is, I don’t spend half the budget on one item to make it twice as good as another. I try to spend each additional dollar on the worst offender. That basically means that there are a lot of things that are about of the same importance.
The big improvements beyond the DS are
Separate boxes for analog and digital with separate supplies, optical connections, shielding and the possibility of physical separation.
Having optional ground lifting for each input and output along with more attenuation options to allow the TSS to seamlessly integrate into more systems.
Better power supplies which are better citizens of people’s systems, for example, to keep any interior noise from going out the power line.
More levels of reclocking to further lower jitter propagation.
Room in the FPGA for better filters, better algos and more innovation.

Everything is helpful for better sound quality.

3 Likes

Oh, there are a lot of other less sexy things too, like 2 oz. copper layers in the boards to help with heat dissipation, lower impedance power, ground and signal routing. Careful placement of board mounts to control mechanical vibrations. Etc.

2 Likes