Octave Questions

You’re an audiophile, I’m a “mélomane” (can’t find a good english translation). You’re free with “my choice, my taste, my initiative”.

But I don’t think I could bring anything to you thread, our concept of Jazz are too far one from the other. I haven’t understood your conception of Jazz nor what is the “generally accepted notion of Jazz”. I’ve met and spoken to tens of musicians of no interest for you. None could give me a definition of Jazz.

If I open a thread, I hope there will be less “my” and more “we”

@jack_nessuno Please open your thread. :thinking:

2 Likes

Will more information about the Octave SW be available before the HW is on the market?

Hopefully. Ages ago I got to play around with an alpha version of the SW and it was pretty intuitive, nice to work with, and visually very pretty. I’m betting we’ll want folks to test it for a while before the hardware is available.

1 Like

I too am a lover of music (melomane), and music comes first to me regardless of label or genre. I believe we may have a communication or translation difficulty. That said, the Strictly Jazz Sounds thread is open to you or anyone else for that matter to openly discuss music that they feel fits the the thread. It is not meant to be exclusive but to include as you say the “we”. I do believe in diversity and openness. I also believe in supporting musicians who are currently active on the scene. By support I mean to say I sponsor local music events, recommend musicians I am acquainted with, and actively purchase their music.

2 Likes

I don’t like the translation “music lover” for “mélomane”.

I believe in trying to get dead musicians so that they are not forgotten.

I’ve suggested Octave records to record a 93 years pianist who did the two Franks (recorded both with Sinatra an Zappa), had his first gig at 15 when Dizzy asked him to sit at the piano and while they were playing “All the things you are”, Bird arrived. He also stayed at the piano fo one hour while Art was in the room, recorded with Lester, Webster, Goodman, Artie Shaw and many others (Was the pianist on the first recordings of Tony Bennett to). He was a closed friend of Duke Ellington but refused when Duke wanted to hire him after Strayhorn’s death : he wanted to protect his family life. He also refused to be hired Dinah Washington who offered him a full year payment for 12 weeks working in the year. Obviously, Octave Records found my idea silly. Im to old now

I do read all of these and chime in when appropriate. Yes, we will, probably in 2022, have an upper end PerfectWave Streamer with internal storage. It will be Octave based, meaning it will rely upon our Octave Music Management software. We will make it also a Roon End Point but that is not a Roon player like their NUC.

The first octave product you will see will happen later in 2021 when the Octave Streamer will launch. This will be a lower cost unit that has no internal storage (though it does have external USB access for a hard driver full of music or network access to a NAS).

It too will be Octave Based and it too will be a Roon End Point (like our Bridge).

16 Likes

Melomane is also an English word, in use for roughly a couple of centuries.

It is a good word, rarely encountered.

2 Likes

Thank you, Paul.

Many are looking forward to the Octave offerings. I know I am.

5 Likes

@Paul Other than the internal storage, can you reveal a bit more about the difference between the PerfectWave and Octave Streamer?

Regards,
Vince

BTW - I know there are mixed feelings on the Forum regarding Roon’s sound quality, but I am fan and am excited that these devices will be Roon Ready. Thanks!

I can’t really go into a lot of depth because we’ve only been working in earnest on the lower cost streamer. The PerfectWave version will be more feature laden for sure: internal hard drive, built in ripper. Both will be galvanically isolated on their outputs but the PerfectWave has a much more sophisticated output stage. More than that I can’t really comment.

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing what you can. I am certain that this will help influence many of our near term system design and purchasing decisions. I have experimented extensively with various endpoints and interfaces between endpoints and the DS. While I have had some very good results, with the exception of the BII, they all feel cobbled together. I really like the simplicity of the BII, less cabling, power supplies, and fairly unattractive little black boxes. It will be great to have a PSA grade component.

Best regards,
Vince

1 Like

Hi @jamesh

Can you release the case size? Desktop.

It’s roughly the size of a Mac mini. Different dimensions but you get the idea. It’s a completely new design from us and it’s very clean and elegant. I had only seen drawings of it up until last week. Got to hold one a few days ago and it’s really slick! Always looks better in person!

This is the streamer, not the full octave server.

9 Likes

Thanks @jamesh

Did they have to pry it out of your hands??. Any broken fingers?

2 Likes

Does it have software that when compiled the end result must be listened to by virgin ears to determine if it is appropriate for continued enthusiasm?

-The cult of Ted

1 Like

Would it be too simplistic for me to think that you guys are making a streaming device with features similar to an Auralic G1 or G2? These devices have their own software that you can run but they also can act as Roon Endpoints. Also I am assuming that your streamer will also have an I2S output to go directly into the DS Dac?

Last I heard, it will be able to run on our Octave SW or act as a Roon endpoint. And yes, it absolutely has I2S out!

3 Likes

“Ballpark” time frame for release? weeks, months, next year?

Is NAA a feature for use with Signalyst HQPlayer?