Octave Records - How Does it Sound Discussion

I am comfortable declaring evolution cares not a whit about audiophilia, the 4 billion year-old universe even less.

4 Likes

The point was to question Paul’s statement in the context of history. That just because something is true today, does not mean it’s true tomorrow. And that he is uniquely positioned to think differently about this topic and create a bridge to that very different tomorrow. And such a transition only happens by not becoming stagnant in the belief of what is true today :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have an issue:
I bought the DSD file to play by Roon but my NUC can’t handle it so I cannot play it.
To get the PCM version it seems that I need to buy a new copy.
I think that’s not fair.
I pay for the music, not for the file format.
It doesn’t feel right to ask money for every file format.

You are buying a license to store and play a data download. You are paying for the file, not the music.

Yeah, still ridiculous you have pay for every file format containing the same information. People may have several players that are not DSD compatible so you need to pay extra to play on a non DSD player. Not very customer friendly and I hope it’s a mistake.

Paul, to suggest there have to be a lot of average to poor recordings to make the better ones sound good is a very strange viewpoint. My listening tastes are broad, include a lot of classical and quite a lot of jazz and world music, but do not include much of the popular music that is designed to be listened to on mobile platforms and has to have limited dynamic range. My experience is of consistently very high sound quality in today’s recordings. I don’t look for magic in sound quality, but I do sometimes skip the occasional recording that is not engineered to way I like to hear, for example too closely mic’ed.

Maybe consumers like me are at an advantage to professional audio designers like you as we can more easily switch off from sound quality issues to just enjoying the music. In fact I’m largely beyond the point of worrying about it. As my family uses the system much more as it is entirely controlled by Roon, we use it more ambient music and it is difficult to summon up the enthusiasm to become too judgemental.

While you have paid only for the DSD file, I suggesting contacting PS Audio. They may be willing to work something out with you.

Yes I did, also before I bought and the dsd was recommended.
However, I think it is in principle incorrect to be charged per file format for the same music.

If you want to switch contact sales@psaudio.com and we can manage that for you.

We’ll be happy to get you the PCM download no charge. Sorry for the confusion.

Great! I already ordered a better NUC but better safe then sorry :slight_smile: